Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just dry hopped and cold crashed an IPA with 3711. My last gravity reading was 1010 a week ago, but fermentation has slowly comtinued! My ABV is approaching 8.5%! Hopefully the cold crash will flocculate and slow the remaining yeast, attenuation is great but I'd like a little sweetness left in this beer. i harvested yeast to blend this with a Hefe yeast on my next Hefeweiss batch.

MM, I've gotten banana, but only when just letting the yeast go without temp control. This yeast benefits (like all yeasts) with slight control the first few days, then letting it do whatever it wants is fine. I like a little banana in my saisons, however.
I used to get more phenolics, spice, pepper... , but can't seem to get them as much anymore.

Any suggestions for pepper?

Mine is still slowly bubbling away.

1.040 to 1.010. I mashed higher than I wanted, 152F, so I'm curious how low it'll go.

3 days in 64F ambient to 1.012, and now it's been 1 full day in 70F ambient. The next step when it stops bubbling is my hot and steamy bedroom at 75 ambient.

Once you get it up to 75 if it hasn't already it will go through the rest of the sugars.

I'm getting prepped to do another batch using this yeast this weekend. Very simple recipe but I might look to see if I can get a hold of some rolled spelt via Bob's Red Mill at a nearby shop. If I can't then I'll just do Pils, Vienna, and flaked wheat like last time.

I just found this thread, I'm a huge fan of 3711, I'm drinking my first 3711saison of this year; wheat, pills, cascade, o.g.1.054 f.g. 1.000 in 6 days but I gave it an other week to clean up. I think it likes to be pitched at 64° held for a day there and then let it free rise to mid 70s. On Monday night I brew the rye saison with this fermentation approach can't water to try the rye!

took my rye saisson off the yeast cake after only a week as it went from 1.058 to 1.002. Its been in secondary for a week and there is a lot of sediment on bottom of carboy. Thinking of bottling either manana or wait another week. Brewed on 5/30, so its really less than 2 weeks old. I have read somewhere on HBT of grain to glass in 7 weeks, but that seems way too long. Any advice?

Sheldon

sheeldon said:
took my rye saisson off the yeast cake after only a week as it went from 1.058 to 1.002. Its been in secondary for a week and there is a lot of sediment on bottom of carboy. Thinking of bottling either manana or wait another week. Brewed on 5/30, so its really less than 2 weeks old. I have read somewhere on HBT of grain to glass in 7 weeks, but that seems way too long. Any advice?

Sheldon

The last batch I brewed with it was kegged at right around two weeks and was drinking it the next day. But as always it got much better as it sat.

You may consider giving it one more week before bottling/kegging

thanks homebrewtastic, That is what I am thinking initially, but its hard to look at the carboy and not want to just put a straw in there and get a taste. Good thing my pipeline still has a small supply of cal-belique and some AHS Anniversary Wit to help me bide my time. Want to brew this weekend, but the temps here are not conducive to staying outside to brew.

Cheers all,

IMO, with a yeast like this it fine to keg a week after hitting terminal gravity, then cold condition for a week and give it a try. I planed letting my rye saison sit for two weeks in primary but that just because I'll be away for the weekend. This morning there was good activity (2" Kraeusen, airlock bubbles ever other second) I believe that at this point (3 day after pitching) the wheat saison it was slowing down. Tomorrow night will be 4 days I take a reading just to see if it is at 1.004 too.

Mine stopped at 1.005 finally. I'm excited because it was a fairly low OG beer, but it's going to have some decent amount of alcohol.

I tasted it on the last gravity reading and I could really pick up the silky mouthfeel the wyeast website says it has.

I plan to cool it now to 37F and will gas up in a keg once I have keg room, probably a week or two.

Update on my Siason:

I left mine sit in primary for 17 days and I transfered last night. The beer is crystal clear and my gravit was at a 1.001.

Sample tasted great it has that saison funk. I droped 2 oz of hops in and will dry hop for 4 days and either keg or bottle this beer.

Guess I will cold crash Thursday night.

Mine stopped at 1.005 finally. I'm excited because it was a fairly low OG beer, but it's going to have some decent amount of alcohol.

I tasted it on the last gravity reading and I could really pick up the silky mouthfeel the wyeast website says it has.

I plan to cool it now to 37F and will gas up in a keg once I have keg room, probably a week or two.

I'm willing to bet that if you left this alone for another week, it would crawl down another couplefew points.

Last Monday (6/6) I brew a 75% pills and 25% Rye w/ 1# Turbinado coming in at 1.054. On Saturday it was at 1.006. As planed, I boiled #1 of table sugar with 2 cups of water, add the zest of one orange, chilled and added it.

It was like watch it was like a Parana feeding frenzy; it went from placid to having an inch of krausen, the dusting of white yeast on the trub (the last bit that flock) jumped in to action and it went from clear to hazy all in about in about a minute. It was very amazing all at once it was back in high krausen! I don't know how long it went on for because I had to leave for the rest of the weekend but when I checked the gravity Monday morning it was 1.002 and very clear, no krausen.
I'm going to check the gravity this weekend and see if it's drop any and make the plan from there.
:rockin:3711:rockin:

My first-ever smack pack of the 3711 has been burning a hole through my fridge door for about a month now... I think I'm going saison next.

I've wondered the same, they say it a pure liquid yeast culture: not a blend. But it truly has its own plan of action.

I’m thinking I might want to do a 2.5 gallon test batch, something simple like 80% pills and 20% wheat and no simple sugar coming in around 1.050.

BUT…

Mash around 156° (maybe higher??) and see how 3711 handles the long chain sugars, I have a feeling the strain won’t care and will tare them a part it’s self. I’ll post what goes down.

I'm planning on bottling this saison on Friday night. I think I will go with 5 oz of dextrose. Tasty Brew says 3.9 oz do you think 5 is too much?

runs4beer said:
I’m thinking I might want to do a 2.5 gallon test batch, something simple like 80% pills and 20% wheat and no simple sugar coming in around 1.050.

BUT…

Mash around 156° (maybe higher??) and see how 3711 handles the long chain sugars, I have a feeling the strain won’t care and will tare them a part it’s self. I’ll post what goes down.

Please do post the results. I'd be really interested in seeing how much attenuation you get with that high of a mash temp up against the 3711.

JLW said:
I'm planning on bottling this saison on Friday night. I think I will go with 5 oz of dextrose. Tasty Brew says 3.9 oz do you think 5 is too much?

I usually shoot for 3 volumes in a saison. So whatever that looks like for your amount is a good way to go.

Alright, I re-calculated 5 gallons, 3 volumes with a fermentation temp of ~85. Seems like a lot but I used 6 oz in my last hefe and will probably up that to 7 for next brew.

Recommended Priming Sugar:
Sugar Type Weight
Glucose (dextrose or corn sugar) 6.2 oz
Sucrose (table sugar) 5.9 oz
DME 55% AA (eg: Laaglander) 14.2 oz
DME 70% AA (eg: Northwestern) 11.2 oz
DME 75% AA (eg: Munton & Fison) 10.4 oz

Please do post the results. I'd be really interested in seeing how much attenuation you get with that high of a mash temp up against the 3711.

My latest saison I mashed at 155º and am at 1.002 from 1.057og, all grain, no sugar. Another 7% beer, which I was trying to not have. :drunk:

bh10 said:
My latest saison I mashed at 155º and am at 1.002 from 1.057og, all grain, no sugar. Another 7% beer, which I was trying to not have. :drunk:

That is incredible. That 3711 truly is a beast. What were your fermentation temps?

JLW said:
Alright, I re-calculated 5 gallons, 3 volumes with a fermentation temp of ~85. Seems like a lot but I used 6 oz in my last hefe and will probably up that to 7 for next brew.

Recommended Priming Sugar:
Sugar Type Weight
Glucose (dextrose or corn sugar) 6.2 oz
Sucrose (table sugar) 5.9 oz
DME 55% AA (eg: Laaglander) 14.2 oz
DME 70% AA (eg: Northwestern) 11.2 oz
DME 75% AA (eg: Munton & Fison) 10.4 oz

Is 85 the beers current temp? I always go off of that. So if I fermented at 85 for the bulk of fermentation, then let it cool to 60 when bottling I go with the 60 degree calculations.

Is 85 the beers current temp? I always go off of that. So if I fermented at 85 for the bulk of fermentation, then let it cool to 60 when bottling I go with the 60 degree calculations.

You want to use the temp it's been at most of the time. If it was at 85 for the last week, then you dropped it down to 65 for a day, you'd go with 85 for the calculation.

btw... I'm not sure I'd trust using that much priming sugar with this yeast. I'm convinced that over a few months this yeast ferments out a couple points dryer after bottling. But then again, you might not be keeping it around long enough for that to make a differnence :mug:

The Cat is right. You will have a hard time making you saison last very long. I am drinking one of the last ones From the last batch I brewed. yummmmm.

I love how this yeast works and tastes.

Up next another Saison ( right afterr the tripel I am brewing on Saturday)

ChshreCat said:
You want to use the temp it's been at most of the time. If it was at 85 for the last week, then you dropped it down to 65 for a day, you'd go with 85 for the calculation.

btw... I'm not sure I'd trust using that much priming sugar with this yeast. I'm convinced that over a few months this yeast ferments out a couple points dryer after bottling. But then again, you might not be keeping it around long enough for that to make a differnence :mug:

See you and I are brewing in different terms. After I hit my high temp and it's done with fermentation I cool it back down to help with flocculation. My beers usually don't sit at a high temp long. But will be cool for at least a week or more before bottling. To each their own :mug:

beergolf said:
The Cat is right. You will have a hard time making you saison last very long. I am drinking one of the last ones From the last batch I brewed. yummmmm.

I love how this yeast works and tastes.

Up next another Saison ( right afterr the tripel I am brewing on Saturday)

I'm fortunate enough to have a very full pipeline. My last batch lasted me about two months. Then again I hardly shared any with my friends.

I'm fortunate enough to have a very full pipeline. My last batch lasted me about two months. Then again I hardly shared any with my friends.

My pipeline is full too, 6 or 7 different beers to pick from, but lately I have been reaching for the Saison as the beer of choice. They are that good. :mug:

Note to self.... Brew another saison soon.

After hearing all these stories about this yeast I wonder why this is super attenuating similar to Brettanomyces strains. It'd be interesting to see some serious scientific study done on this yeas.

I might try and do a forced ferment test with this yeast using various fermentables. One of them will be maltodextrine. I don't expect it to be able but it should be interesting none the less it ferments any MD. Also using extracts based on their fermentability data like Briess at 75% fermentable. Pure glucose could be used as a positive control. I think I might have just figured out my project for school this coming fall semester.

I have a bottle sitting at home that I brewed in August of 2009 when 3711 was first released as one of their limited time specials. I'm gonna pop it open sometime this summer. Maybe this August, so it's exactly two years old... while I brew another batch of Furtif. :D

See you and I are brewing in different terms. After I hit my high temp and it's done with fermentation I cool it back down to help with flocculation. My beers usually don't sit at a high temp long. But will be cool for at least a week or more before bottling. To each their own :mug:

Oh, I was just using that timeline as an example. Not saying that's how I brew. The point was that you should use the temp that the beer was at most of the time it was fermenting. You don't want to cool it for a few days and then calculate for the lower temp. Or vice versa.

Really, then I might mash 158°, what was your fermentation temps?

Drinking some of the latest brewed with 3711. Really good beer. Thanks to Wyeast for making this available year round.

Mashed at 158, 1.060 OG and FG is 1.004! It might have gone lower if I waited, but after 2 weeks I cooled and racked it. Fermented at 68 for first week and 76 for second.

BW

I let this beer ferment at 85 ish and then the temp dropped back down to whatever ambient was at the time. So probably mid 70 to 75.

Some of this beer is going with me on my beach trip at the end of July just seems like a good beer while sitting on the deck watching the ocean.

Man, I brewed my first Saison about 6 weeks ago using BCS recipe and 3711. I omitted the sugar, and bottle conditioned rather than kegged (seemed appropriate for the style). The beer is absolutely great, and I don't buy the talk about 3711 not have the characteristics of 3724. I get some pepper, but not too much and lots of citrus twang which is perfect. My only regret is that despite my attempts to keep the ABV down, it's still about 6.2%

Next I'm planning on doing a dual pitch of 3711 and Roselare to get some funk. Also going to dry hop, although that yeast gives off an awesome aroma.

That is incredible. That 3711 truly is a beast. What were your fermentation temps?

Really, then I might mash 158°, what was your fermentation temps?

Pitched at 66º, after a day bumped up to 77º, which I wont do next time. I found it produces more of the saison "funk" when staying in the mid-high 60's, much nicer beer, IMO.

Also, I got WLP 670 american saison, WLP565 Belgian Saison, and 3711, so I plan on doing a little experiment, will see how the 3711 fairs against these other two.

Latest posts

Back