WYEAST 3638 and Lemon Drop Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozwald

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about brewing a Wheat using El Dorado and Lemon Drop hops and pairing it with wyeast 3638. I'm a bit concerned the banana flavor from the 3638 will not play well with the hops.

Anyone used this combination??

Here's the full recipe.
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (Briess) (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 3.8 %
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 42.3 %
5 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 42.3 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.8 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.8 %
8.0 oz Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.8 %
0.75 oz El Dorado [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 30.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Lemon Drop [5.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 6.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Belma [9.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 6.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg Bavarian Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3638) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -
0.50 oz Belma [9.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Lemon Drop [5.10 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Couldn't figure out how to import from BeerSmith so I just copied and pasted the recipe.

Never used the combo, but my experience with Lemon Drop hops is that they don't seem to do well if you let them boil for a long time. I did a SMaSH with them and think it brought out a flavor I did not like. I used them again but at 10 minutes and it was much much better.

If you see the Stone Delicious IPA, that is an El Dorado/Lemon Drop combo.

It's a decent beer.

I've done several beers with Lemon Drop and one with El Dorado.

My experience is that the late additions/dry hop with lemon drop is that you don't need much. I'm not a huge fan of Lemon Drop but it's alright.

The brew that I have on tap now with Simcoe/Citra/Lemon Drop is that the Lemon Drop is probably showing the most. I did an equal dry hop and used less Lemon Drop than the others in the late additions.

I do notice that there is almost a menthol if you breath out during a drink. Kind of neat.

El Dorado I paired with Amarillo and I didn't care for that brew. I'm not a huge fan of Amarillo though. My plan is to do an El Dorado SMaSH soon. I was going to do it today but I did Mosaic instead.

I can't remember ever using the yeast that you're referring to.

I have a Belma IPA on tap now that I did a 15 and KO addition with lots of dry ho. It has a really nice dank mouth feel, so I would suggest the Belma at 10 or 15.

Thanks for the input. Going to brew this afternoon. Still deciding whether or not to use the El Dorado for bittering or some Tetnanger.

Back