Wyeast 3278 fermentation temperature profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChemEng

Reaction score
I am trying to make a Flanders Red, my first sour, with this yeast: Wyeast 3278 Belgian Lambic Blend.

This is what i have done so far (8 weeks total):
-- Pitched at 68 degF (SG = 1.052)
-- Held at 5 weeks at 68 degF
-- Ramped the temperature up to 75 degF over one week
-- Currently Holding at 75 degF (one week so far)

I raised the temperature to 75 F after primary fermentation was complete in an effort to encourage the Lacto and Pedio.

I have read a TON on this forum and others trying to figure out what the best long term temperature is for this blend, but i haven't really found a definitive answer. I want the Lacto and Pedio to prosper (i have read that these bugs like it in the 90's), but i don't want to kill the brett by getting too warm.

Also, it is still in the primary on the yeast cake in a glass carboy. I haven't opened it at all (don't really see the need to take a gravity reading yet). When should i transfer it to secondary? There is no pellicle, which i have read could be due to the lack of oxygen since i haven't opened the carboy at all.

Also, when i do transfer to secondary, can i pitch fresh wort directly onto the old cake? Will I need to add fresh saccharomyces?

I have read a TON on this forum and others trying to figure out what the best long term temperature is for this blend, but i haven't really found a definitive answer. I want the Lacto and Pedio to prosper (i have read that these bugs like it in the 90's), but i don't want to kill the brett by getting too warm.
professional breweries age their beers below 70, as above 70 can also favor acetobacter. lacto and pedio will do fine in the mid-60's, they'll just be a little slower. vinnie gave a talk once about aging temps and his preference for cooler and slow - better flavors, in his estimation. warmer than 70 is undesirable in his estimation.

FYI the 90's won't kill brett, but that's way warmer than you want to store beer.

When should i transfer it to secondary? There is no pellicle, which i have read could be due to the lack of oxygen since i haven't opened the carboy at all.
i like to transfer to secondary at the very end of primary, while there is still a little activity. for me that's typically 10-14 days out. a lot, but not all, of the yeast will have settled out. don't worry about a pellicle, or lack thereof.

Also, when i do transfer to secondary, can i pitch fresh wort directly onto the old cake? Will I need to add fresh saccharomyces?
if the cake is less than a month old, no new sacch should be needed. pitching on to the whole cake might be a bit much, that's a lot of cells. it will indeed sour quickly but might lack complexity. a quarter of the cake would be plenty.

Thanks Sweetcell, i will cool back down to 68 then transfer to secondary on sunday. I'll keep it at 68 for the next 18 months or so.

I think i will split the cake into quarters and save 3/4 in mason jars for future brews.

Latest posts

Back