wyeast 3068 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickman6

Reaction score
I'm brewing 20 gallons of EdWort's Bavarian Hefeweizen for my upcoming wedding. I've brewed it before with great success and I'd like to repeat it, but have a couple questions on yeast.

In the past I've always pitched one smack pack with no starter. This is the only beer I don't make a starter for with liquid yeast. I have 1 fresh smack pack, and I'd like to grow it to ferment all 4 batches. So, on with the questions...

1. Will stepping up a starter of this yeast push back the esters that I want in my beer?

2. I think I should aim for the cell count that I've used before, but yeast calculators suggest more than that. Should I stick with the cell counts that brought success?

This is what I'm going for-:ban:

Thanks!

You can do a 1g starter if you have a stir plate or 3.5g with out one. If you pitch it in 5g with out a starter I'm sure you can make a 3.5g starter with one packet and wait till you see activity and then start brewing about 24hrs after that.

Back