wyeast 3068 problem.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just started to ferment a new hefe batch 2 days ago with w3068 and am noticing a few issues.
It is a small 2.5 gal batch.

The OG for the batch was 1.045, and I purposely underpitched (using half the pack, and assuming some loss of viability). The smack pack was swelling properly and the date was not old on the package (3 weeks). It was shipped to my house within a day of order with an ice pack, but might've lost some viability from temperature increase.

After the first 12 or so hours I had airlock activity, and a very very thin krausen formed. To my knowledge, 3068 is a high cropping yeast, and sometimes requires a blow off tube for the amount of activity it produces. After 24-32ish hours, the tiny thin film of krausen fell, and the airlock activity has stopped. I see a yeast cake at the bottom of the carboy, but am concerned that fermentation has stopped. The solution is cloudy, so it appears that yeast are still in suspension.

I pitched the yeast at around 68f, and have been keeping it in within constant temperature of 66-68f. I have also noticed a sulfur smell coming from the airlock, but have read that this is normal and not uncommon with 3068. I have also read another having a similar issue with 3068 (thin krausen), and producing a beer that was sludgy, and undrinkable.

I am going to do a gravity check after a week. If it has lowered considerably, i'll let it do its thing. However if it has not, is there any suggestions to salvage the batch?
Anyone have experience with this yeast strain? any issues arise with fermentation?

Cheers.

It has not been that lively the last few times I have used it. Still made good beer and was kegged after a week. I would not worry.

My journey with 3068 has been slow and exasperating. I only make a couple hefes per year, so trying new things is a slow process. The two links summarize my experience. The first is quite lengthy, but only because a lot of people tried really hard to help. They are worth the read.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/its-official-my-sanitation-sucks.627278/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...quires-nutrient-or-beer-is-a-disaster.655596/

My experience appears to be very unusual. I can answer questions if you have any.

Back