Wyeast 3056 (Bavarian) - washed question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
I am a big fan of this yeast as it makes a very versatile addition to many styles. I use it for Roggenbier and a couple of different types of German wheat beers. For reference, it is a blend of Ale and Bavarian Wheat yeasts, with good banana esters and clove phenols, but not at the level of a full blown Bavarian wheat yeast.

One thing that I "think" I have noticed is that the characteristic of the yeast has slightly changed as I wash and re-use.

Basically, the flavor profile has gotten even more subtle on the ester/phenol side, and has maybe a little more spice to it. (I use the word 'spice' loosely here.

Now, this may because of my fermentation temps, which I have kept around 67 (beer, not ambient). Not that I am complaining, as my last two Hefe's have come out crisp and fantastic. It is just that they do not have the Banana esters I was expecting.

Still, is this something anyone else has come across? I am wondering if the Ale yeast is slowly dominating the Wheat yeast, especially since I am washing.

Thanks!:mug:

I have heard that before that the phenols lighten up when reused or if pitched on the yeast cake. I don't know if its just in few cases or if this is regular. :confused:

Back