Wyeast 2575-PC Kolsch II Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
Wyeast 2575-PC Kolsch II Yeast:

Beer Styles: Kölsch, Northern German Altbier, Düsseldorf Altbier
Profile: This authentic Kolsch strain from one of Germany’s leading brewing schools has a rich flavor profile which accentuates a soft malt finish. It has Low or no detectable diacetyl production and will also ferment well at colder temperatures for fast lager type beers.

Alc. Tolerance 10% ABV
Flocculation low
Attenuation 73-77%
Temp. Range 55-70°F (13-21°C)

I came across this yeast and im wondering what they mean by fast lager type of beer. I have a wine cellar that is 55F for the next 2-3 months and im looking to use it.

Is this a Lager or an Ale? And how long would I typically lager it for at this temp? Id love to here from someone who has used it or knows of some recipe's and can speak on the lagering time needed.

It's an ale strain but can ferment cooler than your typical ale strain. I've used the normal Kolsch strain from Wyeast (2565) many times to make good brews. I've never lagered any brew made with that strain (lager in terms of holding at about 32 for any length of time). The batches have always turned out great. I wouldn't lager with this strain either, seeing as it isn't a lager yeast.

They just mean that if you ferment at the low end of the temp range, then you'll get a beer that's very clean. It will still be an ale, but it will taste sort of between an ale and a lager.

You can "lager" any beer and 9 times out of 10, it will be better for it. Really, keeping bottles in the fridge for more than a few days is lagering, as is storing kegs in the kegorator at serving temps.

The Kolsch yeasts are well known for producing lager-like ales if you ferment them cool and cold store them at 32-50F for some weeks/months before drinking. I've never used this particular Kolsch strain, but I love Kolsch yeast in general. You can ferment it cool for very clean flavors, or a little warmer for some fruit esters if that's you thing. Very versatile and doesn't mask hop flavors.

Sorry to jump in late, but I recently used this strain to make a "psuedo-pils" and it turned out great! Very dry and clean finish, very much like a lager. Unfortunately, it looks like this strain is no longer available from Wyeast.

I don't have experience using Wyeast 2575 Kolsch II but but I wash and re-use Wyeast 2565 Kolsch regulary and its the beer I always have on tap, Kolsch. I found it ferments best at around 58-60 F, never tried to take it down to 55 F since its a slow strain. I mean you will have full krausen and odd bubling action after 3 weeks in fermenter, last couple points of gravity seems to take forever to knock down so I usually ramp up the temperature to about 64-66 F when my beer is around 1.015-1.012. But results have always been rewarding. I never been dissapointed with my Kolsches. Very smooth and lager like but not as crisp as lager or pilsner I would say. I don't bother with lagers due to immense starter sizes they require.

I don't bother with lagers due to immense starter sizes they require.

I have been making lagers for years. Start them like a Ale 68-72 for first 24 hours, then take them down to 55-60 for a week , sometime I will give them a "D"-rest for a few days at 68 -72, then I go down to 32-35 and let them set for a month or more....

Very easy few extra steps but WOW what a beer.

Don
Happy Brewing!:tank:

let them set for a month or more....

This may be a problem for me :D I only got 3 kegs and lagering in kegs is out of question unless I do it in carboy. Usually drink my ales after 3 weeks unless its Kolsch which I don't lager either, just takes longer to ferment.

But I do have a pack of Pilsner Urquell 2001 sitting in fridge, I'm gona give it a try here soon

Back