Wyeast 1968 Starter done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBailey

Reaction score
First time making a starter with 1968 London ESB. Been on the stir plate for about 18 hours and turned from very cloudy to looking almost like cold break. I assume it ate up the extract that fast and is floculating. Has anyone seen this yeast eat up a 1.8L starter this fast? Just want a little confermation. Thanks in advance.

Bob

Sounds familiar. 1968/WLP002 look like egg drop soup when the floc out, so I bet you're in good shape.

Sounds familiar. 1968/WLP002 look like egg drop soup when the floc out, so I bet you're in good shape.

Thanks!
I didn't want to chill it down until it was done. I didn't shake the smack pack before pitching, so probably had a low cell count to begin with. Used to using White Labs' vials.

Thanks again

Bob

Still, it couldn't hurt to let it go longer. While that yeast does work super fast in my experience, I usually give starters 24 hours or maybe a little more. Clumping up doesn't necessarily mean it's done - just that it clumps up like 1968 tends to do.

Shut off the stir plate and almost everything dropped to the bottom like a stone. Betting it's done. In the fridge now waiting to be pitched into a Lagunitas IPA clone this weekend.

Nice! I used that yeast on a robust porter a couple weeks ago and on an ESB a couple weeks before that. Man, it takes off like a rocket, works fast, and then drops crystal clear. It's great stuff.

Back