Wyeast 1469 PC West Yorkshire Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny50

Reaction score
- here's the story. I'm in the Army. I left the states for Korea in 2003. Left my wife and son in Texas. Luckily (for an Army guy) my next assignment was in North Yorkshire, UK and I was able to bring my family(and made an addition) in the 3+ years.

I've always loved Old Peculiar and I knew I was moving close to the brewery, but I had no idea about the richness and diversity of the yorkshire beer culture. I found CAMRA and attended their events from York to Harrogate to Otley. I drank in pubs with dudes i thought were pirates. The friendliest barkeeps in all of England are in the Dales. I've had beer and the lunch special from the Black Sheep Brewery. They have six beer engines at the bar to sample each brew. Lots of half-pints from there, I assure you.

I've sipped days away in Theakston's Brewery Pub, choking on the smell of a coal fire and loving every minute of it. I've also been lucky enough to drink all the Tim Taylor Landlord I wanted- our house was inside the distribution area; our local inn keeps it on tap.

But, that is all in the past. Now, I'm sitting in Iraq and thinking about all the beers I had the opportunity to drink and wishing I had just one more.

This is where the good part/conundrum starts. Recently, our humble little patrol base acquired access to the internet, so I'm talking to the wife (via Skype- what a great invention) about mid-tour leave and she asks me if I want to brew when I get home !!! ??? !!! I haven't brewed in a few years due to all the moving around, so I'm just plumb excited. Then, she says she wants to brew a Tim Taylor style beer. Yes! That's my girl! All without asking, so I tell her I will gather a list of ingredients and she can buy it and we'll brew when I get home. We are ready! All my gear is close by (in the still unpacked garage- i haven't lived in the house I just bought) and I brought home a beer engine, just for proper serving of Yorkshire style ales. Perfect!

Here's the tricky part in my grand, mad scheme to have a real english ale in Texas. While looking on-line for ingredients, I see that Wyeast was selling a "West Yorkshire Ale" yeast. I seem to have missed the boat.

So, after all that lead in, does anyone know where I can pick up a packet or two? Or someone who might have a culture in the fridge and would part with a small lump? I am willing to pay for the stuff and pay to get it to San Antonio. I'll be home mid May, if you need time to think.

Thanks in Advance,

Johnny

Photo of the pumps at Theakston's Pub

photo.php
Johnny Kasper's Photos | Facebook

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication.
I'd buy you a beer, but it sounds like your better-half has you covered!

+1 to the brewmaster's link.

Johnny,

If you purchase the ingredients form me send me a note and I will send you the yeast free of charge for a fighting man. I spent 3 years in the Army (2nd Battalion 187 Infantry), and have a soft spot for my fellow soldiers.

Thanks for your service,

Ed

Dear Johnny,

If you are still in need of this yeast please allow me to help. I asked my local homebrew shop owner to bring this in recently as it is produced from October-December. I was just about to smack my 1st pack tonight. I would be happy to see if he has more (I'm almost certain he will) and get it to you. Thank you for your service to our country!!!

Jeff

. . . so I'm talking to the wife (via Skype- what a great invention) about mid-tour leave and she asks me if I want to brew when I get home !!! ??? !!! I haven't brewed in a few years due to all the moving around, so I'm just plumb excited.
Johnny. Your service is appreciated. When will you be back here on leave? I didn’t see your name as part of the
HomeBrewTalk Groups - WHMBP, but PM me your address and I’ll see what homebrew I have to get you started when you return. Herm

Go Navy, Beat Army!

Back