Wyeast 1272 (Still Cloudy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulD428

Reaction score
Hi all,

I made a 3 gallon batch of the 2 hearted ale clone posted in BYO (except substituting the Centennial hops for Galaxy :rockin:):

~80% 2-row
~15% Vienna
~4% Crystal 10
~2% Carapils

I (foolishly, I might add) did a step infusion mash of 30 mins at 147, then 30 at 154.

I fermented at 67 for a week, then moved it up to 73-74 for another 10 days. After all of this, it is still pretty cloudy but has attenuated all the way down to 1.006 (Again, the step infusion was a stupid idea as I had gotten some false information that this was a poor attenuator). After it stayed there for a couple of days I decided to bottle it up to have it ready in time for the holidays.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue with this yeast, or if this might have been a result of it just fermenting like crazy with the low mash temp. I'm relatively new to all grain and i want to enter a beer with this yeast for a competition, but obviously don't want a competition beer to be this cloudy.

Slightly :off: The beer tastes pretty damn good, and I can't recommend these galaxy hops enough to anyone who hasn't tried them.

That's kinda weird because it sounds like your process was good. Also, this yeast has some decent flocculation so it drops out fairly well. We might need some more time/info to fully diagnose - keep a few bottles in the fridge for a week and then pour 'em to see how cloudy it is.

Most likely causes of cloudiness are suspended yeast, chill haze, and the least likely but certainly not to be ruled out is contamination.

Thanks, yeah I had heard this had good flocculation, too (better than 1056, at least). I'm fairly certain it's just suspended yeast since the beer was kind of silty as I was bottling it. Oh well, I'm sure after a week in the fridge it'll settle out. The thought of suspended yeast or chill haze doesn't bother me so much since I wasn't planning on storing this for too long (seeing as how it's hopped to the gills), but it just seemed kind of odd.

Yeah, I'm just surprised it wasn't fairly clear after 17 days in the fermentor. I had a 1.115 barleywine get clear in that amount of time, without crash cooling.

I definitely understand the desire to get the beer in the bottle ASAP but you'll appreciate bottling the clearest beer possible in the future - it sucks to have a big nugget of yeast in the bottom of your bottles that gets disturbed even when you pull it out of the fridge.

1272 is one of my go to yeasts and I find that it always drops out clear, producing nice clear beers.

Back