Wyeast 1214 won't drop out after 8 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManHouston

Reaction score
Brewed a dubbel with wyeast 1214 and a 1 liter starter 8 weeks ago. OG 1.067. Hit terminal gravity (1.015) and kegged after 3.5 weeks. Let the keg sit and condition at room temperature in my basement (mid 60's) for about 4 weeks.

Just put it in the kegerator and on gas 3 days ago and it is still super yeasty. Is 1214 known to have super low flocculation? Would have expected after 4 weeks that things would have settled out a bit more. Hoping another few days in the kegerator at 42F will crash the yeast out a good bit.

Another issue I just thought of... will the yeasties be more reluctant to drop out, even at cold temperatures, in carbonated beer as opposed to uncarbonated? I could see maybe the co2 bubbles might keep the yeast in suspension.

I made a dubbel (OG 1.072) with 1214 and had no problems. I fermented for a week in a primary, racked to a secondary and chilled it to 40 degrees. I left it there at 40 degrees for four weeks, but in a little over a week it had already cleared (and I hadn't used any irish moss or anything).

Not sure if the co2 effects the flocculation or not. It should be dissolved and so should be ok. Just give it a little time at a cold temp and it should be ok.

Another issue I just thought of... will the yeasties be more reluctant to drop out, even at cold temperatures, in carbonated beer as opposed to uncarbonated? I could see maybe the co2 bubbles might keep the yeast in suspension.

i haven't experienced this. it normally takes me about 1-2 weeks to get super clear beer in the keg with 1056.

you could also be just pulling the initial buildup of yeast off the bottom of the keg also... did it get bumped or anything before you poured it?

It looks like it just needs a few weeks in the fridge, but if not it may be under-attenuation.

I've had this happen when I under-pitched (splitting a 2.5L stirplate starter between two 5 gallon worts at 1.055, a much lower pitching rate than yours), although it was with WLP530 and not 1214. It took a while to clear, and once it did there remained a diacetyl aftertaste and sweetness that I didn't care for.

If your final gravity was higher than expected, it might be an indicator of under-attenuation, which could be caused by temperature swings, oxygen, and pitching rates.

However, your final gravity looks pretty good, maybe very slightly high depending on your grain bill. I'm sure it'll clear in a few weeks. 1214 is a low-flocculating yeast, but it makes a delicious beer. The best beer I've ever made was with 1214, but the bottles needed a few weeks in the fridge to clear. If you're not getting much diacetyl or acetaldehyde flavor from the beer, it's most likely fine.

Are you sure it's yeast? It could be chill haze. I brewed a dubbel with 10% wheat and it never cleared.

But if it is yeast, you can always use gelatin in the keg to speed things along.

Thanks for the responses. Its definitely yeast, not chill haze. Taste and smell are yeast for sure. Left a pint glass full in my fridge over night and can see the yeast slowly dropping out.

This is my first time using 1214 and it appears to just be a slow flocker. Next time I will try warming the fermentation temperature toward the end. It started at about 66F, then warmed to right below 70F for a few weeks. I'm guessing it may have attenuated and flocked more at a higher temp.

So my plan is to just let it sit cold for a week or so and see where its at. I've never needed to use any finings before but I'll keep gelatin in mind if I need to. My roommate is a vegetarian so I'd like to avoid that.

If you don't want to use gelatin you could try kieselsol, if your LHBS carries it. Kieselsol is silicon dioxide which is not made from animal products, and it will settle a keg clear in about 36 hours.

Did you use whirlfloc or irish moss in the boil? I've found that essential to getting really clear Belgians.

I always cold-crash these beers for a few days before packaging as well.

For future reference, Wyeast 3522 (Belgian Ardennes) is unusually flocculant for Belgian yeasts. I've used it with good results in simple blondes - towards the end of fermentation you get huge chunks of aggregated yeast, not a common sight in these beers. The trade-off is that 3522 seems to produce less esters, so the aromatic qualities of the style are not as prominent.

Would have to check my notes (at work right now) on whether I used whirlfloc on this one. I usually do but there were a couple that I forgot to put it in. I don't really mind chill-haze. In my experience I've never had it effect flavor but maybe I've never had it that bad? This one has a noticeable yeasty flavor and aroma that I do mind. All in good time I suppose.

Need to check this one again when I get home. It's been cold for about a week now.

Back