Wyeast 1214, Lots of Ester Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scientifics

Reaction score
I used Wyeast 1214 to ferment a Belgian and the beer came out very ester-y. I fermented ~64F (the recommendation is 68-78F) because I read this could be an issue. Thoughts on why I got so many esters anyways? I pitched directly from the pack (maybe that was my mistake?).

That really is the nature of that strain. It is the Chimay strain. Very typical Belgian yeasty flavor. Perhaps some of the flavor may stem from a likely under pitch but that too, is sometimes desirable in a Belgian style to stress the yeast.

1214 is the most yeasty yeast I have used thus far. As you can tell, I am not too good at describing flavors. Didn't really know what people were talking about with yeast flavor till I tried this strain. It is very recognizable. Grab yourself a Chimay blue to check out the pro's results with the yeast for a scientific project at home. Might want two just to increase your sample size. :cross:

Latest posts

Back