WYeast 1203-PC Burton IPA Blend available

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnglishAndy

Reaction score
Looks like wyeast have released this one from the private collection. Has anyone got any experience with it and if you have used it would you do so again?

I think I'm going to try this in my best bitter recipe that I'll brew in a couple of months. If it's any good I'll keep some on the go in the fridge for when Wyeast stop selling it in March.

I think I'm going to try this in my best bitter recipe that I'll brew in a couple of months. If it's any good I'll keep some on the go in the fridge for when Wyeast stop selling it in March.

Don't forget that it's a blend, so if you reuse it you will likely see a drift in the mix. I'd assume that it's just a mix of some of their regular English yeasts - something like 1098/1099/1275 or whatever. I don't suppose anyone happens to know?

BrewUK's the only British shop I know that regularly has the Wyeast "specials" - they also have 1217 West Coast IPA at the moment which is allegedly from Stone and appears to be one of the better members of the BRY-97/Chico family.

My guess would be that 1203 is OK without being anything too special, or at least nothing that you couldn't replicate with your own blend of British yeasts. Attenuation of 71-74% is way too low for proper Burton yeasts, the whole point was that you needed really high attenuation in order to stabilise IPAs for export so they were flinty-dry.

Latest posts

Back