Wyeast 1084 in low temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickFinsta

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone has had success with this yeast around 58-60*F, or how long it added to fermentation and conditioning times. I've got it in primary in my office right now, but SWMBO gave it the stink-eye this morning, as she doesn't want my fermentations showing up all over the house. The basement is 58*F, the office is generally 64-66*F. I'm going to swamp cooler it once the krausen settles to stabilize overnight temperatures, but I'm leaving it in a dry tub for the main fermentation so the little beasties get nice and toasty. I'm hoping I can knock this thing out by St. Patty's day, but I might need to borrow a keg for that to happen.

In other news, my office smells amazing; like roast and floral hops. Thanks in advance, guys.

My aquarium heater is on my belgian right now, but I've only got two weeks left in the secondary so maybe I can drop it down in temp and leave it a few more weeks instead; it's going to be bottle conditioning for months in the colder temp anyways so why not start now?

My aquarium heater is on my belgian right now, but I've only got two weeks left in the secondary so maybe I can drop it down in temp and leave it a few more weeks instead; it's going to be bottle conditioning for months in the colder temp anyways so why not start now?

ya, do that. you do fine

The best dry Irish stout I ever made was with 1084 at around 58-60 degrees. It dipped into the mid 50's and fermentation petered out at 1.018. I thought maybe the temp put it to sleep. I heated it up to 70ish and agitated yeast to no avail. 3 weeks later kegged it. Best stout I ever made.

1084 has a lot of diacetyl for an ale yeast. Recently bottled an imperial stout and the diacetyl is annoyingly prominent. It was fermented in the mid 60's. I say colder ferment does this strand justice.

I have used Wyeast 1056 , the first two weeks in a bigger bucket
rotating blue ice and keeping it at 60f , very much nicer when
compared to the same ale recipe (my 1st) done at room temp.

Alright, I'll move this downstairs to the colder temps today, and see what happens. In the future I'll just let 'er rip in the basement right away.

Back