WY3724 finished FAST!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
WOW! Second time using WY3724. First time it took 6 weeks to finish and i had to get it up into the 80's. This time, on a 1.054 Saison (6 gallons), it's taken 5 days to get to 1.008! I just checked it, still very cloudy but the krauzen has dropped and no activity. Couldn't believe it so i checked with both my hydrometer and refractometer... 1.008. Tastes done too, will give another week at least for the yeast to flocc. I pitched at ~63 and let it free rise in my 70-73 degree basement. It's sitting at 70 right now.. This yeast is notorious for stalling at 1.035 and then taking a long time.

By the way I did a one liter starter and pitched the whole thing about 18 hours in.

If you want to work with dupont then you need proper pitching, good aeration and good temp control. I love this yeast. I haven't had any problems with reaching TG with it even though I've read lots of horror stories. Enjoy your beer! I have a 565 saison sitting on ice in the fermenter waiting to get kegged. Yum.

Warm it up a few degrees. IME, it will completely dry it out over the next couple weeks. I've never had 3724 finish above 1.000

+1 to heat. You can really burn this strain out- get it hot and it will reward you! It may have a few points to go, though- 1.008 isn't as dry as I would expect for a 1.054 beer.

Yeah it's still going. I have it at about 73. I checked today and it's at 1.005. May transfer to secondary (have a lot of trub this time) which will get the yeast going again and then put in a water bath with aquarium heater. Or heck, I live in Atlanta can just put in garage.. I was just surprised though that at about 70 it got down this far in a week. Last time it took six weeks.

I bought 3711 to finish it off but I don't think I'll need it.

BTW really excited about this recipe, really my first one I created. Calling it a Sorachi ginger saison. Pils, 1# turbinado sugar, all Sorachi Ace hops and 3oz fresh grated ginger.

Well I got lazy on this one. It bottomed out at 1.005 and I didn't feel like moving it to my garage or a water bath so I went ahead and used the 3711 pack that I had. I just popped it shook it and dumped it right in cold. The next day I'm seeing more airlock activity! I think I will get enough of the nice tart Dupont flavor, I already have that, and the 3711 will just finish it out dry

Back