Wy3068

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philhead1

Reaction score
I've tried 2 times in a wheat and a kolsch to try and get a strong banana/ clove flavor out of my weihenstepan yeast, I make a small (less than 1 liter) starter and even brrought one upto 83 degrees for one day. what do I need to do to get the flavors to come out??

Good question. I fermented a hefe not too long ago with 3068 at 75°F+ for the entire primary fermentation. All I got were clove phenols. I've had good luck getting banana with WLP300 when fermented over 70°, though.

if you want those strong flavors, use wlp-300 by itself at around 74. it works. i like those in a hefe, and i ferment mine high for that reason

So should I just try it at around 74? will higher give off to many weird phenols? I was told before to take my wy3068 to 81 to get the most flavor out of it. which they are 2 seperate yeasts, I'm going to try the wlp 300 in about 2 weeks, have to more in line. might go for wheat but also thinking anout kolsch, had a german brewery in NC last year that did it in a kolsch and was incredible. or show I stick with ye old wheat?

Back