WW2 Brown IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peligro28

Reaction score
12 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
3/4 lb. - Amber Malt
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb. - Chocolate Malt
2 oz. - Roasted Barley (a little goes a long way)
1/2 lb. - Dark Brown Sugar (added with 10min left in boil)

3.5 OZ Warrior 90 min
1 0z Sorachi 45
1 simcoe 30 min
2 oz simcoe flameout

dry hop 3 oz warrior 14 days

dry hop 1 oz sorachi 5 days

American ale 1056

Mash at 151 for 90 min.
Fly? Sparge @ 170. target runnings is 7 gallons then 90 min boil.

I'd question the 1/2lb of dark brown sugar. I've found that brown sugar ferments out to leave a taste similar to fermented molasses - a little metallic and a bitter. I'm not sure how well it would play with all the hops. To me, it seems to leave a little bit of caramel flavor, but at that amount, with the 90 min hop addition, I'd be afraid it'd be too much acrid/bitter flavor.

Southbay...whatever you wanna do man. I was hesitant about the brown sugar, but I've heard good there things. Maybe not in an ipa thoug
h

This looks similar to the DFH Indian brown recipe but with more dry hops and simcoe instead of vanguard. Sounds like a tasty brew. I have used brown sugar in many of my india brown recipes and have been happy with the results. The slight residual molasses flavor is a compliment I really enjoy with the malt character of this type of beer...although it will be muted by your healthy dry hop dose! Cheers and let us know how it turns out!

So if I back off the heavy dry hop the brown sugar will come through better? I still want it to be a strong IPA...Im I asking too much out of this beer?

I've done a hoppy brown before and really enjoyed the brew. It was an English style brown so it had a little lighter body than what you have, but it did have a pretty intense hop schedule (9oz, mainly late additions and dry hop). I may have used brown sugar to prime, but I cant confirm since its not in my notes. It turned out awesome though. I say go for it!

Also curious where the name comes from (if it is what i'm thinking it is, I dont see the tie in - World War II?).

Hey...I like 'em hoppy so I say leave the dry hops as you have them. After you brew it you could also prime half with regular corn sugar and half with the brown sugar...could be cool to do a comparison with. Or you could split your batch into 2 different fermentors and use 2-3 oz of dry hop in 1 and 1 oz in the other. That would be another fun comparison and 2 very different beers!

Yeah, sorry, i was just messing with you

anyways, i think the 1/2 lb of brown sugar will be lost behind the dark roast malts and the heavy bittering hops. i say skip it.

Lol, it's ok. I luv between being a troll too sometimes. Yeah think I may drop the brown sugar....

Not sure which maltster your amber is from but the stuff at my lhbs is extremely potent. 5-6oz dominates the beer

Back