WTF...please tell me this has happened to you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilBrewer

Reaction score
Measuring out some Munich malt in my basement for a brew tomorrow. Grabbed a handful and tossed it in my mouth just because...and then I noticed a dark object in the bin that holds the grain. Thought it was a rock or a stem, as this is somewhat common. But no. Upon closer inspection, the object in question can only be described as the desiccated bottom half of a dead MOUSE!! Fur and all still intact. A little mouse mummy.

It's definitely from the maltster; not from my storage area.

I understand that mashing and brewing would kill any germs...but I definitely spit out my mouthful of grain and rinsed my mouth with water...and then beer.

This has to have happened to others right???

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not yet, but now I'll be sure to pay closer attention when I'm sampling my grains :D

Made me gag thinking about it. Pictures?

I can't believe that I didn't think to take a picture. I flushed it down the toilet...it took two flushes because it was so buoyant. Yeah, I just threw up in my mouth.

Urp. You just gave me reason to always buy my grain by the pound from my LHBS and not by the bag...better they find the little goodies than me.

I can't believe that I didn't think to take a picture. I flushed it down the toilet...it took two flushes because it was so buoyant. Yeah, I just threw up in my mouth.

Should really contact the maltster about that - not from a point of view to get free stuff, but to let them know that it has happened and they should check their gear to prevent it happening again... and you'll probably get some free stuff :D
Just makes you wonder where the top half went????

You're my hero now, so it was worth it.

I'd still eat that **** personally. F$#k it. If you were starving you'd have put that thing in your BK with spice and had lunch.

Well, I decided to toss the Munich and I'm off to my LBHS tomorrow to get more. I actually made this decision the instant that I saw the mouse but I just wanted to make it clear, haha.

So, questions come to mind: is a mouse skull hard enough to screw up the gap on your grain mill? I've had some rocks go through with less than stellar results. And if you mash a mouse, should you do a protein rest?

Back