• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Full Sized Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuenro02

Reaction score
I'm looking to make the switch to AG and would like to purchase 2 or 3 full sized kegs. If you know of where I can find used kegs please let me know.

THANK YOU!

I have one

image-157942851.jpg

Where are you located and how much for the keg. I know thread owner has first dibs, just figured I would ask.

I am in the Cedar rapids area and have 2 near mint kegs for sale. Gotta come get them though (don't want to mess with shipping them). I also have one that is rubber coated.

Anyone in the Philly area? Or in Boston area (my brother lives there)? I frequent Delaware and Maryland as well for work...

Thanks!

I canNOT find kegs to save the life of me. I have called everywhere in des moines. Am I going to have to pay $50 shipping and get them from elsewhere? If thats the case I might just look into brew pots

Just call you or local liquor store (any place that sells beer by the half barrel). Tell them you want to buy a couple of kegs. Most stores will sell them to you for the deposit price. In my case it was $30. Now that does mean your going to have to manufacture the keggles. There are a ton of resources here on HBT and YouTube. Not hard at all.
Good Luck!!

2thumbsup said:
Just call you or local liquor store (any place that sells beer by the half barrel). Tell them you want to buy a couple of kegs. Most stores will sell them to you for the deposit price. In my case it was $30. Now that does mean your going to have to manufacture the keggles. There are a ton of resources here on HBT and YouTube. Not hard at all.
Good Luck!!

Is that legal?

Not at all. The kegs are not your local stores property. They are property of the brewery. I would check your local scrapyards or a local brewery.

Mparsons327 said:
Not at all. The kegs are not your local stores property. They are property of the brewery. I would check your local scrapyards or a local brewery.

+1 to that. My neighbor works for a large brewery, and I'm going to try to source some of their decomissioned kegs.

The kegs are not your local stores property. They are property of the brewery.

Mparsons is right, the kegs do belong to the breweries, but they charge a deposit tocover their cost to protect against "loss". They do this for every keg that leaves the plant. This charge follows the keg to the distributor, retailer and consumer. In no way is it stealing or shady, do the breweries like that it happens, no probably not, but they're covered either way.

I've legitimately purchased 3 in this manor and I know about 5 other brewers that have done the same. IDK, maybe it has something to do with that in WI we can buy beer just about anywhere and alot of it.

Mparsons is right, the kegs do belong to the breweries, but they charge a deposit tocover their cost to protect against "loss". They do this for every keg that leaves the plant. This charge follows the keg to the distributor, retailer and consumer. In no way is it stealing or shady, do the breweries like that it happens, no probably not, but they're covered either way.

I've legitimately purchased 3 in this manor and I know about 5 other brewers that have done the same. IDK, maybe it has something to do with that in WI we can buy beer just about anywhere and alot of it.

This is an ethical/legal gray area, and one that's been hotly debated here.

For BMC and most large breweries, a majority of their kegs are in regular rotation through their distributors to bars/sports venues/etc with little risk of loss. For retail kegs to consumers, the deposit helps to mitigate loss and is an incentive to bring back the keg shell. But that deposit amount doesn't equal to the keg's total cost and is more akin to a chain store expecting a % of theft loss as a cost of doing business.

I think people tend to think it's not a big deal, but reframe in terms of your smallest, local brewery and it may change your mind. If I made a keggle out of one of DC Brau's newly purchased kegs and the owner/brewer (who lives in my neighborhood) found out, he'd be pissed.

I don't agree that paying a distributor or a shop owner equates to acquiring them legitimately. The keg shells are still the property of the brewery until they decommission them, even if they expect to lose some at some point.

As for whether it is "stealing", thats not for me to say, but check out this thread where an AHB distributor called the cops on a HBT'er after seeing his keggles in the newspaper: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/police-really-258281/

Back