Wow, who knew a bucket was so expensive?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natebomb

Reaction score
So, I have to start by saying that I'm in Canada, where everything is more expensive, but I went out today to pick up another bucket to use as a primary and I nearly puked when the cash register rang in at $24.17!!!!!! What the heck? Does this sound right? Just a 5 gallon bucket with a lid....

Do you have a home improvement store nearby? $20 sounds about right for a primary plastic bucket from a homebrew store.

I went to home depot the other day and got a 5 gal (w/o lid) for $2.37. The lid was an additional $0.99, but I didnt get it since I will just use it as a bottling bucket.

Food grade buckets are one of those things that hold a premium price at the LHBS. You can often get them for free at bakeries and other places where they get frosting and other items in them. Same buckets, same lids.

I'd be wary of hardware store buckets, personally as they may not be food grade. I know some folks on here use them though, so it's up to you on that one.

I dont know about the orange homer buckets but i believe the white (well kind of clearish) buckets are food grade.They also have the gallon and quarts marked,plus a foam handle.They are around seven dollars with lid.

the white buckets at my local home depot made by argee are food grade, but when i was in nevada working on my dad's house the buckets at their home depots were made by somebody else... so i'd check to make sure that they are food grade before using them...

how do i know the argee buckets are food grade? i called argee on the phone and asked them since their phone number was molded into the bucket :)

So, I have to start by saying that I'm in Canada, where everything is more expensive, but I went out today to pick up another bucket to use as a primary and I nearly puked when the cash register rang in at $24.17!!!!!! What the heck? Does this sound right? Just a 5 gallon bucket with a lid....

Maybe the difference is to pay for your health care, eh?
:fro:

I use a poland spring container. I am aware of the myth of "micro oxidation", but I think its just a marketing ploy started by better bottle.

yeah, i bought my last bucket from one of the lhbs's about six months ago... $30, or anywhere near that, is f'in retarded pricing for a bucket and lid...

I thought I read somewhere on here that as long as you can find a class '2' plastic product, you're okay for fermenting in it...

"Class 2" is for recycling. It indicates a type of plastic, HDPE, but should not be used to determine food safe.

In the defense of the purveyor of a bucket you think is too expensive, we sell a 6 gallon bucket at work that costs US nearly $20. Just because you don't want to pay that much doesn't mean that isnt what it costs.

One of the few perks of working at a grocery store, an essentially unlimited supply of 3 and 5 gallon used honey and feta buckets. If you live near a natural foods store (whole foods or local co-op type place) they should get honey in bulk and if you are nice they will give you one, I give away a half dozen a week.

-dylan.

Most of the buckets sold as fermentors are 6.5-7 gallon. Not enough headspace to ferment a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon bucket. 5 Gallon buckets are plentiful and cheap. 7 gallon buckets are less plentiful and more expensive.

By the time the homebrew wholesaler buys a pallet load + pays freight and puts on their markup then your LHBS buys a dozen on a pallet with all the other stuff they are buying that week + freight and applies their markup, well thats how you end up with a bucket (with drilled and grommeted lid) that costs from $18 to $24.

If your LHBS is big enough that they can justify bypassing the wholesaler they can probably offer it at a lower price.

I was considering the bakery buckets, but in Canada we actually brew in 30L buckets, which is 6.5 Imperial Gallons or 8 US gallons.
Good luck finding one of those at the local bakery, plus I like the fact that brew buckets have a seal for closed fermentation, I, personally, just can't brew with a loose lid.

I also have a 46L (12 US Gal) primary, looks like a garbage can but food grade, it was only $23, same price as the regular bucket.

At these prices, I would rather buy more better bottles and ferment in them however a bucket is so much easier to clean.

I also have a 46L (12 US Gal) primary, looks like a garbage can but food grade, it was only $23, same price as the regular bucket.

I don't want to thread jack but I would like to get some more information on your 46L primary you mentioned. Where did you get it?

I don't want to thread jack but I would like to get some more information on your 46L primary you mentioned. Where did you get it?

LHBS, I will see if he can tell me where he got it, after he comes back from Ireland. He special ordered it for me. Brewhouse Brew kits here in Canada recommend a 46L fermenter, so they must be half common.

EDIT, found one here: near bottom of page, http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/1120 they have a larger one as well.

And Northern Brewer has one too... http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/fermenting-equipment/buckets

More beer site. $7.95 for a 6 gallon bucket and $1.95 for the lid. Whatever shipping is it will beat $24.

Dr Malt

Kind of proves my point. Morebeer is big enough to buy straight from the manufacture probably by the pallet load if not a truck load while a LHBS probably buys 1-2 dozen a month if that.

My first setup that I had I got my buckets from a bar that I worked at. Any food grade plastic bucket will work, you just need to make sure that it has an air tight seal. I got the buckets for free and just bought the covers and airlocks. If you know anyone in the Restaurant business, it never hurts to ask. Our pickles came in 6 gallon white food grade plastic buckets.

$12 for large fermentation pail (brand name made for beer) and like $2 for a drilled lid.

I hear shipping anything to Canada was very pricey.

You *could* use a 5 gallon bucket and simply brew a smaller batch... You'd just end up with less beer.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23220&catid=752

Less than $7 for their "premium" 5 gallon buckets and just over $1 for the lid. They are FDA approved. They also have 6 and 7 gallon buckets.

I decided to go this route when my original 6.5 gal. "Ale Pail" was ready for retirement. I ordered three of their 7 gallon buckets (I really like the extra headspace), with lids (the lids each of a different color for easy identification), shipped for around $30. This is a great deal, IMHO.

Checked out more beer, looks good. I just bought a new kit and with the $25 bucket in use, I decided to look locally for one for sale. Found basically a starter kit with glass carbouy, bucket, lid, airlock, hydrometer, syphon, thermometer, bottle filler, bottle washer, capper, 12 1L plastic bottles and 24 725ml bottles for $40.

Back