Wow, how noble *rolls eyes*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They played the game as it was meant to be played, but when victory was obviously assured he should have backed off. He's full of crap when he says his beliefs would not allow him to run up the score. 100-0 sure looks like running it up.

He got what he deserved, no matter the reason for the firing.

I thought the same thing, until I heard the rest of the story. He backed off after the first three minutes of the game, when they went up 25-0. He started a zone defense, then started rotating in third stringers. I agree with someone else's statement that the game shouldn't have happened in the first place--especially since the league has no "mercy rule."

He wouldn't apologize because it demeans his girls. This is another example of someone being guilty in the court of public opinion when the public only has one side of the story.

Well, sports are really just games. I don't know why people take them so seriously.

I've alienated the rest for you, Gnomey :mug:

Yup back off, my ass. Exactly why this generation is full of weak simpleminded weenies. It builds character to get your ass beat once in a while. If you can't score 1 lousy point in a basketball game, why have a team? Why schedule a school that will crush you? We live in a society where if everything doesn't go your way, you grab your marbles and run home, it makes me ill.
It makes me ill, too. As I said before, I'm a firm believer that learning how to win and lose is the best builder of character, not getting a trophy just for participating. But there's a difference between getting your ass beat and utter humiliation. This is high school. It's not college, it's not the professional level.

I thought the same thing, until I heard the rest of the story. He backed off after the first three minutes of the game, when they went up 25-0. He started a zone defense, then started rotating in third stringers. I agree with someone else's statement that the game shouldn't have happened in the first place--especially since the league has no "mercy rule."

He wouldn't apologize because it demeans his girls. This is another example of someone being guilty in the court of public opinion when the public only has one side of the story.
Zone defense, third stringers, big deal. I can understand where the girls who don't play much would want to score, but unless there's a shot clock (and I can't believe there is in Texas high schools) you just pass the ball around. Now, as I also stated before, I'm fine with 75-8, 84-12, something like that. But 100 is a magic number in hoops for some reason.

I do think the losing coach is culpable to a certain extent for not just saying to the other coach, 'Look, we'll give you the win. Let's shut this sucker down and practice together. You can teach us some things.'

Why? 1234567
To show a measure of class. Hey, get to a higher level and I'm all for teams scoring if they can. It's the other team's job to stop them. But there is a vast difference between a fledgling high school team up against a good one and Oklahoma running up 69 points in a football game against, say, Iowa State.

The other team has not won a game in 4 years and the "special needs" are short attention spans and or dyslexia.

Too bad zero points is still the same backwards......but on the upside they probably forgot about the loss before they were in the parking lot :D

To show a measure of class. Hey, get to a higher level and I'm all for teams scoring if they can. It's the other team's job to stop them. But there is a vast difference between a fledgling high school team up against a good one and Oklahoma running up 69 points in a football game against, say, Iowa State.

I'm not quite sure how "going easy" on a worse team is necessarily a measure of class. Either way, as was noted by Lion, apparently he put up his second and third stringers and went into zone defense relatively early in the game.

Per the coach, they didn't play full press the entire game, he backed off of that when they were up 25-0. He also started subing in his 3 bench players.

The other team has not won a game in 4 years and the "special needs" are short attention spans and or dyslexia.

Best movie line ever.. Goodfellas... "The way I see it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."

Why do we fall? So we may better learn to pick ourselves up.

wow...two movie quotes in one post there ;)

You got something against iowa, budyy!? :mad:

:p

I'm not quite sure how "going easy" on a worse team is necessarily a measure of class.

Reverse that. You end up with something like "Total humiliation of your opponent is a sign of your good breeding"

I have no real opinion on all this, but there is always a place for good sportsmanship. A good hunter does not shoot a lame deer with an assault rifle then go up to the carcass, kick it in the head and yell "Take that you non-opposable thumbed bastard!"

I think they should have tied all their hands behind their backs. That's really the only way they could have kept the score down.

On another topic, am I the only one who *really* wants to see the game tape?

I'm not quite sure how "going easy" on a worse team is necessarily a measure of class. Either way, as was noted by Lion, apparently he put up his second and third stringers and went into zone defense relatively early in the game.
Going easy is most certainly a measure of class. This coach knew going in how much better his team was and still began the game with full-court pressure defense. Please. Work on that in practice against your backups, who are obviously far better than your opponent's first five. Play zone from the start. Stop shooting 3-pointers.

For Christ's sakes, they hit the 100-point mark with four minutes left in the game. What did they do during those last four minutes that they couldn't have done earlier?

You got something against iowa, budyy!? :mad:

:p
Nothing against Iowa. I just needed a really bad Big 12 football team and Iowa State was the first one that came to mind. Hell, even Baylor's better than the Cyclones now.:D

Stop shooting 3-pointers.

Not trying to pick on you Shecky, but they shot a total of four 3-pointers the entire game, three of which were in the first quarter.

After hearing more about this, it seems the only way to limit the run-up would be to miss shots intentionally (remember no mercy rule). I just don't think the coach is the big, bad, meanie that the media is trying to make him out to be.

Not trying to pick on you Shecky, but they shot a total of four 3-pointers the entire game, three of which were in the first quarter.

After hearing more about this, it seems the only way to limit the run-up would be to miss shots intentionally (remember no mercy rule). I just don't think the coach is the big, bad, meanie that the media is trying to make him out to be.
Eh, don't worry, I'm thick skinned.
I don't think the guy is evil incarnate, either. Just having been around sports in way or another my whole life, I know there are ways to prevent this. Like a minimum of 10 passes before taking a shot. Use at least 30 seconds of time before looking at the basket. The are fundamental things that could have been practiced during the game without pure annihilation like that.

Yeah, it could have been a good time for the team to practice left-handed lay-ups and other stuff they needed work on...like the mid-court hook shot. That one was always fun.

Back