Wow, how noble *rolls eyes*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a lesson that was taught in the Illiad. Remember when Achilles drags Hector's body around the field of battle, and the gods frowned at him. The idea of fair play, sportsmanship, and humility are as old as humanity.

you guys who are making this incident out to be a bad thing are missing the obvious:

The winning team gets to brag about the 100 point shut out, and the losing team has set the bar so low that any game in which a point is scored, or opposing team held to 99 constitutes a moral victory.

It's a win-win situation with no downside.

:D

This is a lesson that was taught in the Illiad. Remember when Achilles drags Hector's body around the field of battle, and the gods frowned at him. The idea of fair play, sportsmanship, and humility are as old as humanity.

It really started to go away after WWI. During that war they still showed chivalry. The British buried the Red Baron with full military honours and snipers would sometimes not take a shot because the guys back was turned. Then things changed.

you mean like this?

421789547_m.jpg

:D

It would be nice making a living telling people that their doors closing by themselves was *gasp* the wind.

Did you guys see that this coach was fired? A quote from the coach falls right in line with the debate we have had here: “We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity.”

The quote is a little odd and contradictory to me. I'm not certain he got fired for the win but rather for publicly complaining about the administration's reaction to it. Just heating up the debate...

They played the game as it was meant to be played, but when victory was obviously assured he should have backed off. He's full of crap when he says his beliefs would not allow him to run up the score. 100-0 sure looks like running it up.

He got what he deserved, no matter the reason for the firing.

"My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity.”

Oh, so he didn't run up the score? :rolleyes:

Yup back off, my ass. Exactly why this generation is full of weak simpleminded weenies. It builds character to get your ass beat once in a while. If you can't score 1 lousy point in a basketball game, why have a team? Why schedule a school that will crush you? We live in a society where if everything doesn't go your way, you grab your marbles and run home, it makes me ill.

Per the coach, they didn't play full press the entire game, he backed off of that when they were up 25-0. He also started subing in his 3 bench players.

The other team has not won a game in 4 years and the "special needs" are short attention spans and or dyslexia.

Best movie line ever.. Goodfellas... "The way I see it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."

Why do we fall? So we may better learn to pick ourselves up.

Jeez, For one thing it's only women (Not real sports people)
And it's only Basketball (Not a real sport, unless played between 7' giants or with a 5' high hoop)

I wonder how many people I just alienated? :D

Back