Would you build one or two systems with all this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drop

Reaction score
photo0242h.jpg

I ordered weldless bulkeads for all three kegs already. Might as well sell them converted. What's the term for the fatter, rounder kegs and why are they bad news?

I might also consider converting that huge immersion chiller into a counterflow chiller, maybe even with a pre-chiller. I ditched my immersion and would never go back. They are soooo much faster.

I might also consider converting that huge immersion chiller into a counterflow chiller, maybe even with a pre-chiller. I ditched my immersion and would never go back. They are soooo much faster.

I've been wanting to do that. It's 50 feet of 3/8th inch copper pipe. Should I cut that in half and make 2 counter flow chillers or should I build one large one?

make 2 cfc's and sell the spare for cost. what i did with my 50ft immersion.

the rounded kegs look odd asthetically compared to the straight walled one.

I thought they looked extreamly badass compared to the straight walled one. Is it even that big of a deal? I'f I sold them I think I'd spend the money on a co2 tank and regulator, then buy 4 5 gallon tanks and a manifold and maybe hold out for a free fridge on craigslist. I'd build an ugly three tier even though my heart is set on a wood single tier. Did anybody else notice that this can be an extreamly expensive hobby? I've got 32 dollars in my bank account and I haven't even brewed anything yet. Here's to collecting empty bottles. :mug:

Make two systems and sell them then buy your final pots (blichmann) from Ed at Brewmaster tell him you want what Pol has and you will be set, well you will need some fermentors and some pumps but selling your two systems completely assyembled should cover the cost....or just trade away what you dont use after a cupple of brews :mug: but other wise mighty fine stash:mug:

I thought they looked extreamly badass compared to the straight walled one. Is it even that big of a deal? I'f I sold them I think I'd spend the money on a co2 tank and regulator, then buy 4 5 gallon tanks and a manifold and maybe hold out for a free fridge on craigslist. I'd build an ugly three tier even though my heart is set on a wood single tier. Did anybody else notice that this can be an extreamly expensive hobby? I've got 32 dollars in my bank account and I haven't even brewed anything yet. Here's to collecting empty bottles. :mug:

I am not being a hardass, but if you only have $32 left in your bank account I would suggest selling it all and put the proceeds in the bank.

I am not being a hardass, but if you only have $32 left in your bank account I would suggest selling it all and put the proceeds in the bank.

I concur. The thing is I'm not going to stop drinking beer. That's basically a tax. So I'm going to fight and put that control into my own hands as much as possible. This is like investing in a home or college fund. Plus I'm in culinary school and this might come in handy some day when I'm selling burritos in a converted school bus trying to not go blind making moonshine in a catalytic converter. Some of you guys are rich and these things are toys for you. Other's see it as a way to keep utility costs on your person down. I'd say my collection makes me guilty of trying to be both. Thanks for the practical advice from everyone. Even the slightly mean stuff was well founded. Don't worry about ripping my panties here, fellas.

find it better to rent or lease them so you can make more money.

That's how you get caught.

Straight sided kegs are easier to judge volumes in, and mount a sight glass to, among other things, outside of that, use them if you have them. Your question was should you build one or 2 systems, why would you want 2 unless it was to sell one of them? If so, you will probably make better coin from selling the kegs converted and a la carte. I like a round cooler MLT, especially since you already have one, but if you like big (1.080 and up) and plan to make 10g batches, you might want to use the other cooler, it looks bigger. I make just about all I need with a 10g round cooler doing big 5g batches and slightly smaller 10g batches. You might ask more specific questions to get better opinions.

I don't have enough experience to have any real questions. I think my open question yielded a ton of good suggestions. However I broke my 1/8th drill bit so I used my small angle grinder to cut an X into my second keg. It came out well, but I rested my hand directly ontop of the X like a winner and now I've got a cool new scar. Hurt like hell and it was almost poetic because the reasonable solution was to pull an ice cold 40 out of the fridge and nurse it while it nursed me. So I got to drinkin and it dawned on me. A three tier wouldn't be so bad and I've got a welder who owes me some favors.

The counter flow wortchiller is near completion. I'm thinking he could build me a tower and weld my weldless bulkheads in place.

Here's a specific question. I noticed that the best places to drill a straight hole was unfortunatly above the keg's bottom. Leaving about a gallon or a half undrainable. Will bent copper tubing be able to suck this up through the miracle of science?

Question number two. I bought one of those long stainless steel braided hoses for toilets or washing machines. I can't remember it, was a while back. Could I put that underneath the metal plate I cut off the top of one keg and use that to convert a keggle into a mashtun? Or do I absoultely have to buy a false bottom? What I mean is, could I some how cut the metal plate with slits or drill it with holes enough to make it easier on the somewhat fragile stainless steel mesh hose?

Edit: Third question: I have two iron bed frames, a welder friend and 1 turky fryer gas stove. I want to weld a plate to the bottom of a propane tank and notches (bolts) on the inner sides of the bed frame 3 tier so I could move the propane burner and gas (possible together in a cage) to the keggle that requires heat. Has this already been done?

I don't have enough experience to have any real questions. I think my open question yielded a ton of good suggestions. However I broke my 1/8th drill bit so I used my small angle grinder to cut an X into my second keg. It came out well, but I rested my hand directly ontop of the X like a winner and now I've got a cool new scar. Hurt like hell and it was almost poetic because the reasonable solution was to pull an ice cold 40 out of the fridge and nurse it while it nursed me. So I got to drinkin and it dawned on me. A three tier wouldn't be so bad and I've got a welder who owes me some favors.

The counter flow wortchiller is near completion. I'm thinking he could build me a tower and weld my weldless bulkheads in place.

Here's a specific question. I noticed that the best places to drill a straight hole was unfortunatly above the keg's bottom. Leaving about a gallon or a half undrainable. Will bent copper tubing be able to suck this up through the miracle of science?

Question number two. I bought one of those long stainless steel braided hoses for toilets or washing machines. I can't remember it, was a while back. Could I put that underneath the metal plate I cut off the top of one keg and use that to convert a keggle into a mashtun? Or do I absoultely have to buy a false bottom? What I mean is, could I some how cut the metal plate with slits or drill it with holes enough to make it easier on the somewhat fragile stainless steel mesh hose?

Edit: Third question: I have two iron bed frames, a welder friend and 1 turky fryer gas stove. I want to weld a plate to the bottom of a propane tank and notches (bolts) on the inner sides of the bed frame 3 tier so I could move the propane burner and gas (possible together in a cage) to the keggle that requires heat. Has this already been done?

I would start a new thread... you have a few newbie type questions that can be easily answered by a few solid searches. Plus,the HBT crowd doesn't really like "hijacking" threads.

cool snag on the brew equipment. like others have said keep enough stuff for one system and brew a batch. Have fun and better yet drag some friends over and make them buy your left over stuff. Good luck, if you love good beer you will be hooked

Yes.

DSC05017.jpg

DSC05000.jpg

DSC05001.jpg

I would start a new thread... you have a few newbie type questions that can be easily answered by a few solid searches. Plus,the HBT crowd doesn't really like "hijacking" threads.

x2wdtoyotax, he is the OP.

Drop:
Yes, the pickup tube is the way to go. if you remove the braided sleeve from that hose you bought, and assuming it it stainless rather than stainless looking plastic, there are a lot of ways to use that for your mash tun by attaching one or both ends to a dip tube, do a little searching here to see examples. No metal plate.
To your third question: I would NOT weld to any propane tank. get a propane hose long enough to reach the 3rd tier burner of you need to build a manifold with black pipe to supply the burners. If the Mash Tun kettle is insulated well, you should not need to gas fire it. With the supplies you have and lack of experience with AG brewing, my suggestion would be to use the cooler, it works well, holds temperatures, and you already have one. See mine: (there are many other builds which inspired this)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-first-3-tier-gravity-brew-stand-104666/
and my MLT thread (also many other MLT threads which inspired this)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/yet-another-cooler-mash-tun-diy-more-ideas-95981/

Back