Would you add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Noticed some sticky residue near the spout gasket, so assume it was a pressure leak. Racked to a gallon fermenter without a spout, but am not seeing any active fermentation.

It's a 1 gallon wheat ale batch that I plan on adding raspberry puree to. It went a week in the primary vessel but hasn't exhibited any ferm as I mentioned, should I give it some more yeast and time before adding the raspberry?
IMG_20200229_132219_967.jpeg

We will need a whole bunch more information to give you any accurate feedback: What yeast was used?, how many days since it was pitched?, what has the fermentation temperature been since pitch?, did it reach high krausen? etc. With the information given: the sticky residue/gasket leak does not any affect on the amount of attenuation through the fermentation cycle. My guess is that the fermentation is complete but you can confirm that by taking gravity readings 3 successive days to see if the fermentation has indeed stopped. Also, I would hope that your recipe would have given you the projected FG so you can refer to that when taking your readings with a graduated cylinder and hydrometer. Lastly: not seeing any visible activity does not mean that the yeast has stopped working. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Yes, more information is needed. But, I see no evidence of a krausen having been produced. So probably more yeast will be needed - unless something drastic is wrong with the wort.

Back