would this work? (secondary fermenter?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave6187

Reaction score
I want to get going on my next batch ASAP (i know, i've got the bug and I haven't even gotten to try my first batch yet) Considering either a DFH 60min clone, or one of the IPA kits MW sells. I was leaning towards not putting my first batch into secondary, but I'm going to have to in order to brew my next batch. Could I leave this 1st batch in primary for 2 weeks, then rack to secondary? thus freeing up my bucket for the next batch? or should I just straight up bottle after 2 weeks. the instructions that came with the kit recommend a secondary for 2 weeks, but you guys have said it's not necessary,,,

A secondary, or clearing vessel, isn't really necessary-- it's the time you allow for the beer to clear that counts. If your beer is clear after two weeks in the fermenter and it's at FG, then you could bottle it. If your beer isn't clear after two weeks and you need the fermenter, then you could transfer it to a secondary vessel to finish clearing.

Two weeks is not a big deal in a primary-- I've left some beers in for much longer.

-Steve

Summing up what steve said, you could put it in a secondary, albeit it may not be necessary depending on the FG and if the beer is cleared. In that case go and bottle and you can brew your next batch!!!

After 2 weeks in the primary, your primary fermentation phase SHOULD be done, but the only way to test that is doing some hydro tests. Making sure that primary fermentation done is the biggest concern, what you do after that is really up to you. With my Irish Red Ale, I wanted to see a bit more clarity in it, so I racked it to my secondary after a week and a half, and I'm going to let it chill out there for a week or two before bottling. I would've let it sit in my primary, but like you, I needed to free up my primary for my next round of Belgian Wit Ales.

Back