Would this be a good English Brown Ale recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrustyOlJohnson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was given a package of crushed steeping grains by my LHBS that came out of a Brewers Best kit, but he didn't remember what the kit was.. So, I have put this recipe together with some grains, hops and yeast that I have sitting around built around the first 3 grains listed below thinking it might create a nice brown ale, or at least that's the goal. Thoughts?

4 oz Caramel 90

8 oz Carabrown

8 oz Dark Chocolate

4.5 lbs Vienna (Cause I want to use it up)

1.5 lbs Pilsen Malt (Same)

1.0 lb Munich (Same)

1 lb Carapils (you guessed it)

4 oz Rice Hulls

Mash at 156

1 oz East Kent Golding (60)

.5 oz East Kent Golding (15)

1 tsp Irish Moss (15)

Windsor yeast, ferm at 62

BeerSmith says this will be: And a Northern
English Brown Ale
style range is:

1.047 SG 1.040-1.052

1.012 FG

4.7% ABV 4.2 - 5.4 %

24 IBUs 20 - 30

22 SRM 12 - 22

The Vienna and Munich may provide bit more sweetness than straight 2 row or Marris Otter, but I'd say it'd be a solid brown/brown porter/mild none the less weighing at 4/5% ABV.

The chocolate malt will push the color of the beer to the edge of the style guideline, but the other specialty malts should lend a nice maltiness without being overly roasty.

Personally, I don't like to do more than 3 or 4 malt varieties in a beer, but I understand that this is kind of a "kitchen sink beer". There's no reason it won't turn out to be a good drinker!

The Vienna and Munich may provide bit more sweetness than straight 2 row or Marris Otter, but I'd say it'd be a solid brown/brown porter/mild none the less weighing at 4/5% ABV.

The chocolate malt will push the color of the beer to the edge of the style guideline, but the other specialty malts should lend a nice maltiness without being overly roasty.

Personally, I don't like to do more than 3 or 4 malt varieties in a beer, but I understand that this is kind of a "kitchen sink beer". There's no reason it won't turn out to be a good drinker!

Thanks for the input.. I've had some folks from my home brew club look at this as well and made the same recommendations you have.. Im gonna try to mash low (148-150) and use Nottingham instead (higher attenuation) instead.. Thanks for the post!

Latest posts

Back