Would there be problems cutting 5 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrismcdaniel3128

Reaction score
Hello new to the all grain and was wondering if there would be a problem cutting the 5 gallon recipes down to 2.5 gallons or even 2 gallons. The reason would be to try multiple recipes wo waisting so much if the batch didnt turn out so hot.

You can make any batch size you want as long as you scale all of the ingredients correctly. Lots of people here brew 2 or 2.5 gallon batches.

scale them down by ingredients same as the size. if you scale down the batch by 2/3, scale down the recipe by 2/3

Have you thought about whether or not you want to change the size of your fermentor in order to accomodate a smaller batch size or to have more fermentor going? I have been scaling many of my 5 gallon recipes down to either 2 or 3 gallons. I went to a local bakery shop and was able to bring home some white food grade plastic buckets that were used to hold icing. These are usually about 3-3.5 gallons in size which is great for 2-2.5 gallon size brews. For 3-4 gallon size batchs I use plastic food grade buckets from Walmart that cost $3.50 including lids. The buckets have a maximum of 5 gallon volume capacity which leaves room for the needed head space.

This may not really answer your initial question but I thought I would mention it because I was doing the same thing 2 years ago wanting to try a wider variety of recipes.

Definitely possible and makes sense depending on your objective. I did my 1st (and only so far, though that will change soon) all grain batch as a 2.5 gallon "brew-in-a-bag" batch on the stove top. Fermented in a 4 gal. plastic home depot water bottle. Bottling today!

What if your all grain recipe came pre-mixed, and ground? Should I try doing both halves separately, and combining in the fermenter? I don't really have the tools for all-grain, and had not planned on getting them until I finish my keg conversions, which won't be for a long time.

What if your all grain recipe came pre-mixed, and ground? Should I try doing both halves separately, and combining in the fermenter? I don't really have the tools for all-grain, and had not planned on getting them until I finish my keg conversions, which won't be for a long time.

Better to combine them for the boil than to try in the fermenter... You'll need to seriously watch the boil-off rate/amount if you do the boil in two pots, since it will be different than when combined. Typically a 32-40 quart pot will work with almost any 5 gallon batch pre-boil volume...

Latest posts

Back