Would cold brewed coffee inhibit yeast starting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a 10 gallon batch of pecan coffee oatmeal stout and cold brewed with a french press the quart or so of pecan coffee I was using it in. I put the coffee in the fermenter then dumped 2 packages of new US-05 on top of it then pumped in the wort on top of that using a venturi sprayer on end of the tubing.

I pitched around 2 pm yesterday afternoon and this morning about 20 hours later the gravity, as per my Tilt, was still at 1.070. I have never had US-05 take this long to start in the 3+ years I've had my Tilt so I was wondering if putting the yeast in the coffee before adding the wort could have been the problem.

Where I'm at it's getting colder. So even with US-05, I'm going to have to do something to keep in in the ball park of it's temperature range and reasonably stable too.

So what temps did you pitch at and what temps have you maintained the fermenter at?

I’d be more worried about infection. I always dump the coffee in at the end of the boil.

Back