Worth using secondary container for lagering when it's just another plastic bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhan

Reaction score
It's come to my attention that using a plastic fermentation bucket for lagering isn't really recommended.

Given that this is all the gear I currently possess, would it be worth the trouble or racking off the yeast and into a secondary fermenter (just the same as my primary one) to lager? Or, given that this will be sub-optimal anyway, would it be no worse really to just leave the lager on the yeast in my primary fermenter as I lager it? Could this even be preferred, since this way air won't be introduced (my fermenter is only about 3 quarters full)?

I'm fairly new at this, and am still experimenting, so I won't be lagering longer than a month, and am not expecting to brew anything amazing at this stage. I brewed using all-grain.

Thanks for your opinions!

If you're doing a short lager (less than 6 weeks) then I don't see a problem with it. Anything more, and you might want to concider glass.

If you transfer to secondary before primary is completely finished (a few gravity points) then it will create enough gases to blanket the top of the bucket with co2. That will maybe get you another few weeks...but bucket lids are notorious for leaking, so I could be wrong.

Latest posts

Back