Wort Tweaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewbop

Reaction score
Our local brewery has given our brew club a unique opportunity to brew on their equipment. Altogether, we're producing a 1300 liter batch and will each take home 1-2 carboys of wort. The idea is that everyone goes home and tweaks one of their carboys and we all get back together in a couple months to compare the results. We decided that for maximum tweakability we would brew a rather tame beer. We're targeting a 1.048 wort with about 20 IBUs of bitterness using mostly two row with approximately 10% carafoam.

I have some dehusked carafa III sitting around and was thinking of going for some sort of black IPA. In order to do this, I would need to boost both the IBUs and the SG so my initial thought was to do some sort of partial mash using the following:
  • 2 lbs 2-row
  • 1/2 lb Crystal 45
  • 1/2 lb Carafa III

From there I would do a 60 minute boil, adding hops (mostly C-hops, amounts TBD) at the usual 60, 15, 1 minute marks to boost of the hoppiness. From there I would cool it and add it to my wort, aerate, pitch, etc.

Most of the partial mash literature I've been able to find talk about much larger boil volumes. Am I going to get much hoppiness from a 4.5 liter boil? Any other approaches I should look into?

Back