Wort through blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyk2104

Reaction score
I am using a blowoff for the first time and I am getting a ton of wort/krausen coming through the hose. Is this normal? I had about 4-5 inches of headspace in the carboy when I pitched. Just a very vigorous fermentation!!

Primary - Pumpkin Ale
Secondary - Sasquash Ale
Kegged - Banana Peel Head

This does happen. As you mention above, just a very vigorous fermentation, which is of course a good thing. :mug:

Only 4-5" of head space is also to blame with a vigorous fermentation. All that krausen has to go somewhere...

Great, just being paranoid and first time using it. Thanks guys!

Primary - Pumpkin Ale

Secondary - Sasquash Ale

Out of curiosity, what kind of yeast did you use? It sounds like what happened when I used Danstar Windsor Ale dry yeast in a high-gravity wort.

Minton and Fison ale dry yeast. But it's a pumpkin ale with a ton of brown sugar.

Primary - Pumpkin Ale

Secondary - Sasquash Ale

Yep - normal ... especially if you added a bunch of sugar. Just make sure that the tube doesn't get clogged (simply watch it, don't go to any lengths to remove and poke with something). If you are using a 3/4" blow off or larger, it is very unlikely to clog.

DSC_1690.JPG

This is not my picture, but I am using something like this.

I used to use that exact setup. Never clogged on me. I switched to 1/2in silicone though. Much more flexible making it easier to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When using the airlock for the blowoff setup, it's the criss-cross on the stem of the airlock that can clog ... I've snipped the end off mine (only the ones I use for blow off tubes) to mitigate that.

Okay, after 24 hours of crazy fermintation, all bubbling has stopped! No clog, I checked. Just no bubbling..

Primary - Pumpkin Ale

Secondary - Sasquash Ale

That usually means only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep down to a stable FG. Then I give it 3-7 days to clean up any by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before priming & bottling.

Unionrdr is spot on. It seems like the biggest mistake in this hobby is lack of patience. Coming from me (wife constantly reminds I have none) that means something.

I have an Amber doing exactly what your pumpkin did. Fermented aggressively for the first 36 hours (not quite as much krausen expansion because I've obviously got way less sugar) but it was bubbling very rapidly. Now it's dead silent, but it still has a 2inch thick krausen head on it and stinks to high hell of sulfur (California Ale yeast is known for it).

Just be patient and let the less glorified part of the process do its thing. I'd recommend in the future getting a universal carboy cap and sticking your blow off tube onto that.

That's what I've figured, any paranoia I've had thus far has been fine with some patience!

Primary - Pumpkin Ale

Secondary - Sasquash Ale

Back