Wort temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's so hot that I couldn't get my wort to temp today. So I put it in the fermenter and put it into the fermentation chamber and put the temp on 66. I figure I will let it sit for 24 hours and pitch the yeast and then set the temp to 68 degrees. Does this sound reasonable? The wort was about 80 degrees when I put it into fermenting chamber.

It's so hot that I couldn't get my wort to temp today. So I put it in the fermenter and put it into the fermentation chamber and put the temp on 66. I figure I will let it sit for 24 hours and pitch the yeast and then set the temp to 68 degrees. Does this sound reasonable? The wort was about 80 degrees when I put it into fermenting chamber.

It'll be fine as long as your sanitation game is on point. It also might not take 24 hours to get cool. I'd check it again before you went to sleep, and if it is below 75, you should be fine. Ester production is pretty minimal in the first day, so it won't really hurt it.

It'll be fine as long as your sanitation game is on point. It also might not take 24 hours to get cool. I'd check it again before you went to sleep, and if it is below 75, you should be fine. Ester production is pretty minimal in the first day, so it won't really hurt it.

Ester production is minimal early on in the ferment. However, the higher temperature can lead to higher levels of precursors to esters. While esters are only produced after appreciable amounts of alcohol are present, i.e. during the exponential phase, the amount of esters in the finished beer depends greatly on the conditions at the start of fermentation.

The OPs plan of chilling to ~66 and then pitching is the best option if the sanitation is up to scratch. To be honest, if your wort doesn't last 24 hours before spoiling you're doing something wrong.

I spent about 45 minutes this morning cleaning everything with oxy clean then I sanitized everything as well. I keep thermometer in sanitizer between checking the Temps.So I hope my sanitation is on point. I haven't had any issues in the past.. Knocking on wood.

I've had to do the same thing before, especially in the summer. No worries. If you can, drop the temp of the chamber lower to expedite the cooling process ( unless it's late and you don't have a few hours to monitor the temp)

That's what I ended up doing.. I got the temp down to 73 and I pitched the yeast.. Fermenter is set to 68..should I set it higher since I pitched at 73?

No. Keep it low. Ideally you would have wanted to pitch lower, but it would still be better to ferment in the 60s than 70s. Remember, fermentation is exothermic, so actual wort fermentation temp will be higher than ambient temp

That's what I ended up doing.. I got the temp down to 73 and I pitched the yeast.. Fermenter is set to 68..should I set it higher since I pitched at 73?

I usually pitch warmer temps, and bring it down gradually, before active fermentation really takes off. You should be good.

What kind of yeast are you using? Some dry strains like Nottingham, US-04, and US-05 actually ferment much cleaner at 62-64F.

I am using 04.. I usually pitch at about 70 and then the fermentation chamber is set to 64-66.. I had long day of brewing today and just wanted to pitch the yeast and be done with it lol its a jalapeño cream ale so if any off flavors maybe the jalapeño will help cover it up lol.

I am using 04.. I usually pitch at about 70 and then the fermentation chamber is set to 64-66.. I had long day of brewing today and just wanted to pitch the yeast and be done with it lol its a jalapeño cream ale so if any off flavors maybe the jalapeño will help cover it up lol.

It'll be alright =P I was just throwing that out there. Discovered that just recently and was really impressed with the results.

But as long as you keep the temp stable, that's more important that what temp.

I have done this method as my ground water is around 80 from the hose. My question is if I aerate by shaking the carboy when I first transfer from the kettle, do I need to aerate again before I pitch the yeast?

I've begun brewing in the early evening during the summer. Place my 80 wort (cooled to that temp) in the ferm chamber, with the yeast to be repitched, and take care of it in the morning. That's enough time to be at correct temp, and both the wort and the yeast are at exactly the same temps. No issues so far, knock wood.

Condor, no need to aerate prior to temporary cooling. The yeast is what uses the oxygen. Aerate just prior to pitching the yeast for best results.

Back