Wort never got to a good rolling boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunder44

Reaction score
Hey Guys! I just finally tried to brew my first batch ever. It is an IPA & I used specialty grains with LME. After I soaked and steeped the grains, I added the LME. At this point, I could not the wort to a good rolling boil. It would boil with the lid on, but I have heard that is bad so I left it off.

I ended up adding the hops for the full 60 minutes, then cooled the wort and pitched the yeast.

Do you think the beer will be ok even though i did not get a good rolling boil?

I appreciate the help in advance!

:mug:

It should be ok, but it takes time to get to that rolling boil......You just have to wait it out, but it'll get there.......

but it takes time to get to that rolling boil......You just have to wait it out, but it'll get there.......

Not necessarily. Some stovetops do not put out enough heat to boil a large volume of water. Once the water gets close to boiling, the cooling effect of the ambient air on the kettle achieves equilibrium with the transfer of heat from the stove to the kettle at a point less than 100degC.

I can only imagine this being a problem for people with low-output electric stoves exacerbated by kettles that do not make good contact with the stovetop burners.

I ran into a similar problem a few years ago when I bought a new house that came with an electric range installed. My old aluminum kettle had a bottom that bowed out very slightly. It didn't make good contact with the burner. With a full-volume (5gal) boil, it would sit on the stove for two hours without coming to a rolling boil. I finally bought a propane burner to use outside.

I think it will be fine, especially for a first attempt. Be sure to come back and let us know how it turned out.

amandabab said:
you may just have to boil less or split it between two pots

Before I moved outside with a burner I did split boils on the stove all the time, including all grain batches.

I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a rolling boil. I'm certain your beer will be fine.

Kitchen gas stoves have this problem too. Max I could get going was about 3 gal, then I just added water. I had a couple of extract with specialty grain batches that never boiled well and turned out.

Hey Guys! I just finally tried to brew my first batch ever. It is an IPA & I used specialty grains with LME. After I soaked and steeped the grains, I added the LME. At this point, I could not the wort to a good rolling boil. It would boil with the lid on, but I have heard that is bad so I left it off.

I ended up adding the hops for the full 60 minutes, then cooled the wort and pitched the yeast.

I appreciate the help in advance!

:mug:

To prevent wort darkening and potential scorching, it is much better to add only 1/3 of the LME at the beginning of the boil and the remainder 15 minutes before flame out, making sure you get it back to a rolling boil again for at least 5-10 minutes.

I do stove top full batches (6.5-7 gal boil volume) and also have trouble keeping a rolling boil with the lid off all the time. So I keep the lid (partially) on for a while until the rolling boil resumes, then remove it for a while. Then back on, etc. It works for me and I get no DMS.

You can try to get the pot onto 2 burners at the same time. Or boil a smaller amount, and then top up at the end.

Here's what I would do:
You want to boil a smaller amount, say 3-3.5 gallons whatever your stove can handle/boil comfortably with the lid off.

In your boil kettle, first do your steeping in around 2 gallons of water at 150-160°F, followed by a short rinse (dunk and dip) with a gallon of water at the same temperature. When done, remove the grain bag.

You now have about 3-3.5 gallons in your boil kettle, and bring that to a boil. Add some of the LME/DME, perhaps only a quarter of the total. Do all your your boil, spice, and hop additions in there. This is called a partial boil.

Then, concurrently, using another big pot on a different burner, boil the balance of the water (2 gals) to which you'll add the remainder of the LME/DME. Stir it up really well while giving that a good boil, say 10 minutes, to get your hot break (yeah, you'll get some) and it will also sanitize the lot. Caution: Make sure nothing sticks to the bottom and scorches. Let it cool off with the lid on.

Then when the main boil is done, combine the 2, mix well together and chill.

Since you have constant boil-off in your main boil kettle. You could keep a gallon or so of boiling water in a 3rd pot and keep topping up your boil kettle to the 3-3.5 gallon mark as you go.

Here comes the important part:
You want to end up with 5 gallons of wort in total. Not more! So keep track of the total quantity in the 2 pots. It's better to be a little short, as it is easy to add (boiled & cooled) water if need be. Not so easy to boil off an extra gallon later.

Thanks for all the help & input. It is a crummy electric stove with a flat top. I have a turkey fryer and should have used that, but I thought of it too late. Ill be sure to keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back