Wort in the airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobblesBrew

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon I brewed my third batch and woke up this morning to a wort in the airlock. It foamed up more than the other batches I've made, and gas is hissing (not bubbling) out of the airlock. This is a brown ale extract kit from Norther Brewer. The only thing I did differently with this batch that could have contributed is I used Starsan for the first time to sanitize the fermentor. THere was a a lot of foam in there when I poured in the boil, but I thought that was normal.

Any idea why this happened? Suggestions on what to do? Is it ok to take off the airlock, clean it out, put new water in it and replace? Do you think the beer will be ok?

Thanks for your help.

IMG-20120909-00216.jpg

You just have an active fermentation, happens to all of us at one time or another. Just clean out the airlock and re-sanitize around the lip (that's why a spray bottle with starsan is so handy) and replace. Or if it's still active and doesn't look like it's going to be winding down soon, rig up a blowoff tube.

It'll be fine.

Looks like a good, healthy fermentation to me. If you can't rig up a blow off tube then clean & sanitize the airlock and replace it. You might have to do this a couple of times before it settles down. At least you know that nothing has gotten in, the foam & CO2 have pushed anything back out.

I cleaned it out right after I read your replies and it's already full of wort again. Looks like I might need the blow off tube. Thank you both - I really appreciate the help.

Latest posts

Back