Wort hot when put in Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfoundbrew

Reaction score
Hey all my probe in my kettle gave me a false reading, and when i put my wort into the fermentor it was around 131F/55 celsius . I cooled it overnight to pitch temp in the morning. My questions now is will their be any leeching from the plastic where the liquid was hotter than normal that it is gonna affect the taste of my beer?

Almost all food grade plastics can handle much hotter temperatures without a problem. You could run into a problem with a fermentor made with the same plastic as the Big Mouth Bubbler. Not a problem with leaching but deformation at 140°F and higher.

It was just a fermentor bucket I bought from the local home-brew shop. No disformation of the bucket itself. Im not sure of the type of plastic.

Some people are like hypochondriacs and fear plastics at any temperature. I would equate it to plastics in a microwave. If it doesn't melt I don't worry about it.

Back