Wort Chiller How To

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandallFlag

Reaction score
Going to pick up a copper coil wort chiller this week. Seems like a great idea to quickly cool the wort/beer but I have a question.

Once I have achieved the appropriate temperature do I remove the coil from the pot or do I siphon the beer into the carboy with the coil in place?

I can see a potential downside of removing it being that it would disturb the quickly settling hops, etc. from the bottom of the pot.

Thanks.

I leave mine in place but I also have a drain valve.

I suspect you will be fine either way. The biggest challenge when siphoning is finding a way to avoid as much cold break and hops as possible from getting into your fermentor. Unless you are aging the beer a long time, even that only really makes clean-up (especially with a carboy) more difficult.

I don't worry about the debris in the wort. I remove the IC then drain the kettle transferring all but a few ounces to the fermenter. What goes into the fermenter will settle to the bottom by the time it is done fermenting.

I do use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag to contain the hops.

Back