Wort aeration using Vinturi red wine aerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byaka

Reaction score
Hello, fellow brewers!

I am writing to share a fairly inexpensive way to aerate your wort prior to pitching yeast. This is something I tried today while brewing my 5th batch. I am not sure if this method has been mentioned here before but my search didn't return any hits.

So today while transferring my cooled wort into the fermenter I decided to try using a Vinturi red wine aerator. I have been using one for when we drink red wine and it works great for its intended purpose. I also happened to have an extra one laying around (was given to me as a gift). I see them frequently sold for $10 at our local Marshall's and TJMaxx stores, especially a month or two before Christmas.

Anyway, pictures below show how my extremely simple set up looked and the results I got with it. In my book the wort looks as aerated as it can be. As the wort passes through the Vinturi device it gets aerated using the Venturi effect. As a result, I got nice foamy wort in the fermenter that is ready for yeast.

I am using Fermonster fermenter bottles and the Vinturi fits nicely in the opening in the lid of the fermenter. I have a feeling that because of the shape of the device it will also fit into the opening of a regular carboy or Better Bottle. Then I poured wort from the kettle into the Vinturi. Next time I will use a smaller size stopper with a hole and insert the hose into that hole - this way I will not have to worry about adjusting the wort flow rate. The stopper will go into the opening of the Vinturi and the system will become closed. Today I was just testing the concept and ended up getting the flow right by using a hose clip. It can also be controlled by playing with the elevation of the receiving vessel.

C5ijuAS.jpg

cvLZQgQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back