Worst. IPA. Ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Devil's Backbone's Cattywompus, used to be called Congo. They label it as a Belgian inspired IPA. Absolutely horrible. Like drinking a marginal IPA strained through dirty gym socks.

Congo is the only Belgian IPA I've ever had that I liked. I thought it was pretty great, actually.

Redhook Longhammer IPA. Cool name, cool little stubby bottles or 16 oz cans... terrible taste! Onion and skunk. Even out of the cans.

Redhook Longhammer IPA. Cool name, cool little stubby bottles or 16 oz cans... terrible taste! Onion and skunk. Even out of the cans.

Redhook longhammer used to be decent a long time ago when it first came out. Before Redhook was bought out. Now all redhook's beer suuuuuuucks.

For me it's whatever the hell I bought at Trader Joe's. It was a 22 of an imperial IPA. It was only 4 bucks so I thought I'd give a shot but it was awful.

Victory Moving Parts (v.2). Tasted like yeast and water. Pretty gross, actually dumped the thing.

I like Torpedo, but I would hardly call it a "standard" (it's too strong and heavy, almost a double IPA)

Surly Furious is supposed to be great but I don't like it. Maybe it was just served too cold the one time I had it, but it was one-dimensional. Bitter, with no maltiness or sweetness or body for balance.

Ranger isn't bad, but it's not very good either.

I've never thrown/poured out a beer except this monstrosity of an "ipa"

pQTPxtk.jpg

First post! Been lurking a bit and finally decided to post!

I couldn't agree with you more. I couldn't stand it, gave it to my dog (who really enjoys drinking beer) he literally threw up after drinking this IPA.

I couldn't agree with you more. I couldn't stand it, gave it to my dog (who really enjoys drinking beer) he literally threw up after drinking this IPA.

Oh I've had this one too and thought it was way too bitter. It tasted like battery acid. Their pork slap pale ale isn't very good either. The Moo stout is just ok too.

If you think that's bad you should try their stout. No seriously though, IDK which ones worse cause I haven't had the IPA. And I won't.

I had to send back a double IPA at the Bear Republic pub in Healdsburg Ca. They do nice beers but I think that one spoiled or got exposed to O2. It is the only draft beer that I have ever sent back.

There are some Breweries that think that they are in some kind of Hops-Arms- Race. Anyone can put more stuff in but making it good is more of an art.

The best are the fresh ones from the likes of Hill Farmsted, Boneyard, Barley Browns, Firestone Walker and Half Acre. It's not an easy style to make phenomenally well. I know every brewer thinks they can make one, but once you have one that is transcendent, it'll make you rethink what you're brewing!

+1,000

I have to consciously be aware of how I talk about beer. I can come across as snobby but I consider myself a student of beer, won a lot of medals, and at one time thought I knew most of what it took to be a great brewer of American styles....then I had a Hill Farmstead beer on a business trip in Vermont. Ephraim Double IPA. A huge slap in the face of pure humility. Totally changed my perception of what hops can be completely. Just a mountain of flowery, perfumy, tropical flavor that was simultaneously so soft and smooth and drinkable.

Ranger...really? Dang I love it...its got an toasty oat/malt and hop balance thats good to me.

I'm gonna say lagunitas.

Latitude 48 from Sam Adams. After reading the description oh the bottle to try to figure out what was happening it became clear, it's just a mess all over.
"Never before have so many regions been in my mouth at once" does that sound like a positive comment about anything?

+1,000

I have to consciously be aware of how I talk about beer. I can come across as snobby but I consider myself a student of beer, won a lot of medals, and at one time thought I knew most of what it took to be a great brewer of American styles....then I had a Hill Farmstead beer on a business trip in Vermont. Ephraim Double IPA. A huge slap in the face of pure humility. Totally changed my perception of what hops can be completely. Just a mountain of flowery, perfumy, tropical flavor that was simultaneously so soft and smooth and drinkable.

Word up. I know everyone loves that heady topper thing but I'd take a hill farmstead IPA over that any day.

Heady topper is still my go to for an almost perfect ipa- but I gotta say I picked up 12 bissel brothers "swish" the other day in Portland Maine and I gotta say it might be my new favorite dipa out there right now. Amazing- worst ipa? As of late it was tumbledown brewing "devils hop yard ipa". It was just absolutely Terrible

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ranger..

Won't buy again. Was pretty bad.

i honestly can't think of an IPA that i really "hated". but first one that comes to mind is ranger, i remember it being so mediocre. bitter but with almost no flavour. around the same time period i also had avery maheraja which was proibably my favourite of all time.

another ipa i think is mediocre in the same vein as ranger is "mad tom ipa". bitter but seriously one dimensional in flavour.

Funny I read through all the post and the last one is Mad Tom. That is drinkable (barely), but try the Double Mad Tom. Might as well just rip your tongue out, it is faster. All hop, nothing else. Still have 5 of a 6er in the fridge. Also, Brew Dog Hardcore IPA, more like bottled nail polish remover with a little pledge added for smell.

Funny I read through all the post and the last one is Mad Tom. That is drinkable (barely), but try the Double Mad Tom. Might as well just rip your tongue out, it is faster. All hop, nothing else. Still have 5 of a 6er in the fridge. Also, Brew Dog Hardcore IPA, more like bottled nail polish remover with a little pledge added for smell.

yeah, mad tom was when i realized that the online beer review sites are really kind of meaningless in regards to IPAs. i thought it was so by the book-boring, like a mcdonalds IPA but everyone I knew said it was great.

i know i tried punk ipa and also finding it mediocre, though cant remember anything specific. i dont want to sound like a hater, but i really haven't cared about IPAs as a style in so long.

Don't feel bad, I think Torpedo is the worst too.

As a side story, I was once judging IPAs at a competition and got one I think really flunked the test. The judge across from me thought it was good.

me - "It tastes like wet socks, something isn't right..."
them - "Maybe it's supposed to taste like wet socks, it could be the kind of hops they used!"

This beer went on to win 3rd place in American IPAs despite the flavor confirmed by others.

My personal opinion - beers that taste like wet socks shouldn't win, and now I avoid judging IPAs. I do like plenty of IPAs though, my goto being Upland Dragonfly.

My personal opinion - beers that taste like wet socks shouldn't win, and now I avoid judging IPAs. I do like plenty of IPAs though, my goto being Upland Dragonfly.

This. I've been drinking a lot of beers that just have unpleasant hop aromas and flavors. I like juicy, tropical, citrus and pine. Not cat pee, onion, rubber and now apparently socks.

Victory Hop Ranch.

got a 4 pack yesterday and totally disappointed. its not the bright citrusy amazing that i thought it would be or as described on the bottle. Something is just off

I was really disappointed in Sierra Nevada's Boomerang... Tasted like dirty socks. They used some Australian hops if I recall.

There are some Breweries that think that they are in some kind of Hops-Arms- Race. Anyone can put more stuff in but making it good is more of an art.

You are correct, sir!!

There seems to be a mind-set among some IPA drinkers too that reminds me of those guys (we all know at least one) who pretend that there is no food that's too hot for them. They order the 5-Alarm Habanero wings and scarf them down while proclaiming, through their tears, that they really aren't that hot.

So, there is a market among that sort for beers with names like Tongue Splitter or Hopslam which, by the way, may be excellent beers. I've never tried them because the name screams out to me "unbalanced". Maybe I will try them one day, but in the meantime, give me a Bell's Two Hearted or a Great Lakes Commodore Perry.

Let the flames begin!

Let the flames begin!

Flames? Nah, I admit, I used to be one of the extreme ones, whether it was lupilin or capsaicin. Maybe I've gotten weak with the years, but I prefer to say that like a good Scotch, I've mellowed with age.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the over-the-top examples, as long as you understand that you are getting the extreme limit of hops, chiles, et cetera.

While I still enjoy IIPAs, Two Hearted or All Day IPA are my go-to brews.

I have had some disappointing examples at breweries that just didn't have any character. I think the one example that sticks out was the Fort Street brewery in Lincoln Park, MI. It wasn't a bad beer, per se, but it just didn't give me any hop character. Bear in mind this was a year and a half ago, and it looks like their lineup has changed since then (maybe it wasn't just me?). Their Build Your Own Bloody Marys were killer, though.

Because it has Mosaic in it.

hahaha, I actually like mosaic, i like that its somewhat distinct. I got the same weird flavor in SN Estate, and no mosaic in that. I think they work amazing in a pale ale.

I've heard it could be the fresh hops, but I loved Great Divide Wet Hop, and Blue point's wet hopped hoptical illusion, so I dont think its that....Something is just wrong

While I still enjoy IIPAs, Two Hearted or All Day IPA are my go-to brews.

What a coincidence! Those are the two beers I have in my fridge right now. I'm still a little hot-n-cold on the All-Day, but I like that it's on the dry side. It's a real citrus punch, isn't it? I don't know why they call it All-Day, though. I tried that and it didn't work out well for me! :drunk:

Seriously though, I usually steer clear of the "imperials". I tend to drink them like a session beer, and that doesn't work either!

Not sure if it's THE worst IPA I've had (because I've had A LOT of IPAs) but Sixty-One by DFH is turrible...grape must in in an IPA GTFOH

Big Sky's IPA. Way too grapefruity to me.

I've also had a British IPA that I didn't care for, but I don't recall what it was anymore.

Now it is Hopadillo. Nasty stuff! Don't care much for anything other than their black IPA.

Not sure if it's THE worst IPA I've had (because I've had A LOT of IPAs) but Sixty-One by DFH is turrible...grape must in in an IPA GTFOH

Funny, a local brewery here makes a Grape Ape IPA with grape must. But this one is delicious!

Latest posts

Back