Worst. IPA. Ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Costco's Kirkland IPA. Nasty, nasty stuff.

I'm not a big fan of really hoppy beers, but I'm pretty good at putting personal taste aside to tell if something is good or not. That said, I love the hell out of most Yazoo Hops Project beers I've had.

It must be taste the piney resin of the torpedo is one of my faves. I am not a huge ranger fan of new belgium

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Ranger and I are not friends. I personally don't care for any of the Belgian / IPA mash-ups.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Odd that you found a Rochester, NY brewed beer in Seaside yet I've never heard of it in NorCal.

It was at Savemart and on sale. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt since it had to make the trek accross country but I can't. I gave Majic hat the benefit of the doubt and I still didn't like them. Not my style- not a bad beer just not for me. Roscoe's- that was bad.

Tough crowd here. A lot of beers I like getting trashed!
Swamp Ape IPA by Florida Beer Co. Bought a 6 from the grocery store, took me a week to finish them in spite of it being 2 weeks of vacation and drinking more than I would in 2 months! I blamed poor handling, but beeradvocate has it rated poor, so maybe it was just bad.

Oh, I totally forgot about Swamp Ape. Don't give them the benefit of the doubt with bad handling.... I have had that beer twice now while on dive trips to the keys, and both times I've dumped it. Total horror show.

Worst IPA I have ever had and probably the worst beer I have ever had, it was so bad it was actually worse than BMC, Tonka beer company Preservation IPA. It just tasted like skunky water, must have been brewed with pond water. Only thing that was good about it is that a % of the profits went to preserving the minnesota lakes.

I agree! Total swill!

Greene King IPA, as served in the King's College bar.

At its best it's a mediocre English bitter, served on cask (about 4%, maybe 30 IBU). That bar served it from casks using an electric pump system with a fake hand pump, and I don't think they ever cleaned the lines while I was there. Still, at the equivalent of $2 for a 20 oz pint...

attachment.php

Couldn't resist... not sure why it showed up twice...

Worst ever.JPG

Seems like some of you just don't like IPAs. I love most IPAs but don't really care for Racer 5. I finished the 6 pack though, it might have been old, a friend gave it to me so I don't know the origin.

Why, pray tell, do so many posters praise the product of assorted breweries on a home brew site instead of their own accomplishments? Failure? Keep trying. It really isn't that difficult.

Granted there is no need to brag but Sierra or Dog fer cry sake? They aren't very good at all.

Seems like some of you just don't like IPAs. I love most IPAs but don't really care for Racer 5. I finished the 6 pack though, it might have been old, a friend gave it to me so I don't know the origin.

Wow Racer 5 is one of my go to IPA's. I have had a shartty sixer or two for whatever reason though.... I always just blamed it on the gas station I bought it from....

I've only had the one 6 pack, for all I know it was 2 years old and stored next to a radiator.

I hated 8 Point IPA by Devil's Backbone. My wife said "It tastes like a perm smells"

Huh, it was the very excellent Racer 5 that started me on the fast track toward very hoppy beers that I now crave.

I do not really like most IPAs (uber hops gives me migraines) but I gotta say that Founder's All Day IPA is one of the worst craft beers I've ever had. Like overcarbonated Grapefruit soda.... I know it's a session beer but there is almost no malt character. SWMBO didn't even like it and she is a shameless hophead.

I like IPA's but riddle me this... Some of them, like the Shorts Huma Lupa Licious is FANTASTIC.. But, it can't be my first beer.. it's almost like I need to prime the pump with something less hoppy. Even the first few pulls are pretty tight, but once it gets to a certain temperature OR once I've acclimated the brew to my taste buds, i just love that beer. Especially on tap!

Does anyone else have that experience with IPA's?

I've not seen too much chatter on here about the Huma Lupa Licious, but if you haven't tried it, a fan of IPA's should add that to their Untappd wish list.

Why, pray tell, do so many posters praise the product of assorted breweries on a home brew site instead of their own accomplishments? Failure? Keep trying. It really isn't that difficult.

Granted there is no need to brag but Sierra or Dog fer cry sake? They aren't very good at all.

Cause it's the gen beer discussion thread? Snark much? Please enlighten us with your brewing success stories, I'll bite

Tried a Racer 5 recently. It's good, not bad at all, but I do think its slightly overrated on the review sights. Had better IPA's.

Torpedo the worst? Not sure about that one. I love torpedo. But I'd say the worst I had is diabolical IPA by north peak brewing in Michigan. Tasted way to piney for me. No fruit flavors just all pine. Not appealing.

I know I am late to the party, but I gotta jump in here. I personally love diabolical. I think it is full of citrus. Although I have had an old one once that was pretty awful.

I have only had the Boatswain Double IPA. I wonder if it is twice as bad. I don't think anyone that has tried either would dare try the other. Horrible stuff. Crime against nature.

Oh yeah? I sat down with both of them one night. I rarely pour beer down the drain, but I just couldn't choke these down. I believe they are dry-hopped with tumbleweeds.

[Keith's Logo]
I win.

Setting aside the fact that Keith's was already mentioned several times a few pages earlier, I don't know that it's fair to judge a 200 year old beer by today's style guidelines. We all know the style guidelines shift over time, and the IPA guidelines in particular have had all 3 knobs (bitterness, hoppiness, ABV) cranked up to '11' in just the past few years.

Keith's is a clean, quaffable ale that - by 1820 standards - qualified as an IPA. It doesn't compare to modern IPAs, but it's far from the "worst" IPA I've ever tasted. I'd much rather drink a 6-er of Keith's before any Belgian-influenced IPAs.

Because we enjoy beer. More to the point, some people want to experience more than one point of view of what beer can be. If you're happy only drinking what you brew, that's fine. But, there is no need to post on a thread that you clearly have no interest in because you have an overwhelming desire to be a condescending ass to strangers on the internet.

Now, on topic, the worst IPA I've had is Swamp Ape.

So I know there are obviously a lot of hop heads here (myself included), but I want to know the worst IPA you've ever tasted.

For me it has to be Sierra Nevada's Torpedo: a hop bomb that was way too bitter for me. I actually returned the sixer I bought back to the store.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

You actually returned beer?
Is that legal?

When I first started brewing, I was splitting batches with a friend and as we were deciding what beers we should make, he told me "anything but an IPA. Seriously Dude, an IPA is like playing basketball with your buds, shirts against skins. You've been playing for a while and your all sweaty. You go up for a layup and a guy goes up to block and you get a mouthful of sweaty arm pit. That's an IPA."

That week I was at Costco and saw the Kirkland craft beer assortment pack. I figured it was as good a place as any to start my research. The IPA tasted EXACTLY like my friend described! My favorite IPA's are Union Jack and Racer 5 but I usually like IIPA's better.

Roscoe's IPA is terrible. My wife brought home a sixer and I had to push it off onto my mooch neighbor, telling her it was "your kind of beer". My friend who loves big IPAs had to try one just because I was bad mouthing it so much, and I think he was just being polite by not bashing it.

Some of you guys need to check the best by dates on your bottles. Can't believe some of the post here lol

This thread is just further evidence that beer, much like music and art and a lot of other things... Is 100% subjective. Subjective based on your taste buds but also a complicated mix of other things you've picked up along the way that can't possibly be duplicated from one person to the next. It's an experience, man. It's art. Why judge another man's perception of art?

zc

I still haven't met a person who like's Roscoe's... I'm not judging someone else's perception, just expressing my own. I see where you are coming from with some posts in this thread though.

I think that IPA's tend to be a love-em or hate-em type of thing more than any other style, so it's not surprising to me that some peoples favorite and others "worst ever".

As an IPA lover my worst would be one that isn't very IPA-ee.

As a long time drinker, first time brewer, I decided to by a few different IPA's to try. These are my impressions of them:

All Day IPA: The thought of a low alcohol, full flavor IPA intrigued me, and I got excited when I opened it and pored it. The floral aroma was fantastic. Alas, I was disappointed when I drank it. Great aroma, no body.

Crooked Tree IPA: Meh... An OK IPA, but nothing to get excited about.

Dogfish 90 minute IPA: Loved it, Great taste. Just too high ABV to drink more than 1 or 2.

BTW I'd be more interested in hearing about what people liked vs. what they hated.

Stone Ruination is a beer I have never loved. Too bitter and undrinkable (its an imperial ipa, but yea, I guess it still counts). I also was not a fan of nb ranger, but did not hate it like I hate Ruination.

All Day IPA: The thought of a low alcohol, full flavor IPA intrigued me, Great aroma, no body.

Is it me or are all of Founders IPAs really low body. They all have good Hop taste/aroma but taste like a light beer or something. NB Ranger as well.

Great hops, no body

I believe Founders All Day is a session beer which is supposed to be easier to drink with a lower ABV. I like Ipa's but don't care for New Belgium Ranger.

"session beer
n.

Any beer that contains no higher than 5 percent ABV, featuring a balance between malt and hop characters (ingredients) and, typically, a clean finish - a combination of which creates a beer with high drinkability. The purpose of a session beer is to allow a beer drinker to have multiple beers, within a reasonable time period or session, without overwhelming the senses or reaching inappropriate levels of intoxication. "

I believe Founders All Day is a session beer which is supposed to be easier to drink with a lower ABV. I like Ipa's but don't care for New Belgium Ranger.

"session beer
n.

Any beer that contains no higher than 5 percent ABV, featuring a balance between malt and hop characters (ingredients) and, typically, a clean finish - a combination of which creates a beer with high drinkability. The purpose of a session beer is to allow a beer drinker to have multiple beers, within a reasonable time period or session, without overwhelming the senses or reaching inappropriate levels of intoxication. "

I did mention that it was a session beer- but just because it's a sessionable brew doesn't mean it shouldn't have any malt character... Guinness is malty enough for what it is.

Is it me or are all of Founders IPAs really low body. They all have good Hop taste/aroma but taste like a light beer or something. NB Ranger as well.

Great hops, no body

Just drank their Centennial IPA and I think you're right. Less hop aroma, but not much more body.

Back