Worst day of my brewing career

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbindera

Reaction score
I have been using a Ranco dual stage controller I bought several months. It is used to temp control a freezer for lagering and cold storage.
Just today the controller started reading temps over 100+ degrees. So, it reads that the internal temp of my freezer is at 170 F. This has basically left my freezer on all day freezing two kegs of beer, a fermenting lager and several bottles of beer (a few of them exploded).
I checked the freezer in the morning and all was well. When I came home this evening, I was shocked to see the controller reading 170. It is completely hosed at this point and can't accurately read even ambient temp in the house right.
Has this happened before? Is it a known issue with this controller?

A somber day for this brewer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had a similar thing happen with a cheapo Will-hi controller. Suddenly thought the freezer was 60C. Froze 8 kegs solid. They were fine when thawed and given a bit of a shake, and then left for a week at 34 with a new controller.

I've been using that controller for about a year and a half with no issues. Bought it from a friend who used it longer without issues. This is the first time I've heard of this with that controller.

It was actually in a thermowell in a carboy. Totally dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back