Worst cluster mess brew ever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew_reagor

Reaction score
Last week I tried to do two batches in a row... Starting at 7:30pm... First one being a 2 hour mash. Probable not the best idea. The worst part is that I know better... I've tried it before.

Got a bit tipsy during the first brew. The second one was going well until I added the FWH and put in on the burner... Outside...and then fell asleep.

So it stormed all night and added an immeasurable amount of water to my beer that boiled for God knows how long. When I woke up my propane tank was empty and I was hungover. I blame abner from hill farmstead brewery. That stuff is too strong and delicious to go down as easy as it does.

I decided to try and do my other hop additions during another boil, let it cool, and then realized I was super late to work (really only 2 minutes, but I like to be early, especially since I get onto everyone there about their time). So I decided to add the yeast the day after.

Next day... Crap... I forgot to cover the wort when I left. I added 2 packets of notty and let it go.

Then I realized I'm out of lids for my ferm buckets. I drape a plastic bag with starsan sprayed on it over the top and laugh at how badly everything has gone for this beer.

I really hope this beer is not any good, cause there is no way I could ever repeat it. I'm writing everything down from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Is this a real post?? If so then you've outclassed everyone's worst brew day. Please update on your outcome. I'd love to hear how it comes out.

P.S. You pretty much wrote everything down right here. lol. All the best on your brew.

Not going to lie... Try to avoid getting drunk while brewing... seriously haha. you can get hurt, or wore injure someone else

Wait, so a ton of rainwater got in your brew? I probably would have brought it back up to a boil or at least pasteurizing temp before brewing. Should be interesting though!

Did you take an OG reading?

I did do another boil to add my hop additions from 40min on. Og of 1.040

Well, I kegged it last night and tasted it. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I'll see how it turns out after it carbs up.

I used to do late night brewing when my daughter was young. I'm so glad I don't have to do that crap anymore.

Glad it turned out decent

My first all grain was started at 9 pm and finished at 3 am. Not a bad session, just long. Work was fun the next day!

I had to brew that night as I needed food for my chickens. They didn't appreciate it as much as I'd hoped! Lol

Well, I was told that it tasted better than natty ice. So there's that. Hopefully it will get better after a month or so. The hops need to back way the heck off.

Subscribing.

Speaking of late night brew sessions: The day before I brewed my first batch, I assisted a friend in brewing a batch of beer at his place. We didn't get started until about 7pm on a Friday night, and little did I know the treat I was in store for when we brewed a triple batch. I could hardly stay awake after a rough day at work, and I believe it was around 2am that I got home (and I'm normally in bed around 10).

No big deal, right? The next day I got up, late morning, and went out to the car to make a run to the hardwarestore. I get to my car and my car window was down. So, apparently I was so tired when I parked ON A STREET IN THE CITY OF CHICAGO that I left my window down all night. And no one stole a thing.

Subscribing.

Speaking of late night brew sessions: The day before I brewed my first batch, I assisted a friend in brewing a batch of beer at his place. We didn't get started until about 7pm on a Friday night, and little did I know the treat I was in store for when we brewed a triple batch. I could hardly stay awake after a rough day at work, and I believe it was around 2am that I got home (and I'm normally in bed around 10).

No big deal, right? The next day I got up, late morning, and went out to the car to make a run to the hardwarestore. I get to my car and my car window was down. So, apparently I was so tired when I parked ON A STREET IN THE CITY OF CHICAGO that I left my window down all night. And no one stole a thing.

Subscribing.

EDIT: Very sorry for the triple/quadruple post. HBT said it was having connection errors, and apparently my post was sent through a few too many times. Sorry guys.

Glad to hear im not the only one that has late night brew sessions. I hate them! If im not started by 4 or 5 i dont even bother. I never end up cleaning anything because it's too late and I'm too tired. I've thought abt the early morning vrew session around 4 or 5 am but im not a morning person. Afternoon brewing is where its at for me. That time is hard to come by though.

Back