Worst Brew day ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runt135

Reaction score
First I broke the spout off my brand new never used Speidel fermenter as I was cleaning it in the sink. Then during the boil I dropped my cellphone into the kettle. Then while trying to solve the cellphone problem the tubing on my wort chiller got melted to the burner. Yay.

Anyone have any worse stories?

I might. But it's not a brew day horror story, but rather a bottling day horror story. It doesn't involve equipment breaking. It involves things once living, a dried out airlock, and what would become one of the most terrifying homebrews ever bottled. ;)

Well Chadwick you have to tell the story now. You can't give a hint like that and not tell.

Some years ago, I had an IPA blow the top out of a 3pc airlock while I was at work, all-the-while spewing hops down the side of the carboy and into the beige carpet underneath. The popcorn ceiling had a nice basketball spot of dried hops on it when I got home, and there was sticky hops residue on most everything in the room. The funny thing is when I walked in the door I was thinking 'man that brew smells awesome!'.

I cleaned up, put in a new airlock (I had plenty of headspace afterward!) and to this day it was my best result from an extract brew. It was still plenty hoppy. Turned ouy my buddy that sold me the kit doubled the hops and didn't realize it. I didn't know any better so when I saw two bags for each stage of the hops schedule, I tossed them in...

BTW, if you ever decide to spray hops on the ceiling, popcorn ceilings are the way to go. A coat of 'Kilz' and some paint and to this day the ceiling in that house has dried hops on it. :D

Well Chadwick you have to tell the story now. You can't give a hint like that and not tell.

Ok, so the airlock dried out while I left the beer unattended longer than I should have. The airlock was one of those "S" shaped ones that has the little cap on the end. I lost that cap long ago.

Weeks prior to when I did get around to bottling this beer I was busy dealing with a gnat invasion in the house. It was hell. Gnats everywhere and I spent a week trying to find the source without success. As it turned out, the teenage daughter used some potatoes in a science experiement and she tossed the rest of the potatoe bag under her bed and forgot about it. That was the source. Once I found it I removed the problem, damn it was nasty, and over the course of the next week I clean up the rest of the house of gnats.

Once all of that was out of the way it was time to bottle my beer. I was a bit concerned when I discovered the airlock was completely dried out. But heck, there is a CO2 blanket over that right? Take in mind, this beer needed bottled about 4 months ago. I open up the lid and I see what looks like wax floating around on the surface of the beer. I know it's infected at this point. But I taste it and think about what I'm going to do. I pull a small sample from just under the surface of the "wax" and give it a taste. Hmmm......apples, fruit, beer, eh....it'll age out to be pretty good.

So I bottle it.

3 weeks later I open up a bottle and check to see how it turned out. It carbonated perfectly. It poured a wonderful golden clear. Little lacing, but whatever. It smelled of fruit and apples. I tasted it and the the immediate sensation was one of fresh green apples and fruit. Nice. Unfortunately, that quickly gave away to an aftertaste of mouth puckering tart and something that I can still not really describe other than you don't want that taste in your beer.

I poured the rest of the glass and figured that perhaps some age would make it better. After all, even I am amazed at how much age can improve a beer.

One year later I open another and give it another go. The tart tamed down, the apple flavor is still dominate, all in all it isn't terrible, but not what I intended to make at all. Then I noticed something in my glass.

At first I thought is was hop residue. I see this sometimes with my mega hopped beers. A small cluster of hops floating around in the glass. I fished out the floaty and examined it closer.

It was a mass of dead gnats. Frantically I start opening more beers and pouring them looking for these gnats. They are in just about every bottle. It's gnat lager.

I set back the rest of the batch. Never to tough them again myself. Occasionally I have a friend I tried to introduce to home-brewing take a turn to the dark side and become a pure beer bum. I gift them my gnat fortified lager and tell them this is what I'm into now. It works magically, they never return.

Got a recipe for this gnat fortified lager? Seems like a perfect brew for the apocalypse; protein *and* carbs. Well done sir :D

Also, I don't see gnats as an adjunct in BeerSmith 2.0. How much fermentable sugar is in a gnat, and do you think the flavor would have been stronger if you added them at bottling instead of the primary?

Just to add, I guess for your amusement. It really wasn't the worse beer I ever made. Although, that could be debatable.

When I first got interested in homebrewing, about 15-18 years ago, I had the good fortune of having some equipment on hand because my father was a brewer too. Unfortunately, I never paid much attention to what he did when he made beer. So although I had the most rudimentary idea of how it works, I was totally clueless.

I felt I had the good fortune, at that time, of having several cans of malt extract left from my dear ol' dad and his fermentation vessels.

Keep in mind, this canned malt extract was over 15 years old at this point. The yeast packets was just as old as well. I used those kits per the instructions, and worse yet, I used the yeast packets too. It is very likely that I made the worse ale in the USA at that time. At least the ones you could drink, some of those bottles exploded. The ones that didn't was over carbed or not carbed at all. It was a mess. I bottled all of this into returnable bottles from a local soda company. They had a reputation for producing remarkably tough and thick glass bottles. But they were green, not brown. I stored my bottles in the place where they recieved maximum sunlight during the day.

Looking back on it, I could not have made worse beer if I made every effort to do so.

Got a recipe for this gnat fortified lager? Seems like a perfect brew for the apocalypse; protein *and* carbs. Well done sir :D

Also, I don't see gnats as an adjunct in BeerSmith 2.0. How much fermentable sugar is in a gnat, and do you think the flavor would have been stronger if you added them at bottling instead of the primary?

Ha ha. Very funny. To answer your question: I prefer dry gnating as opposed to wet gnating. The dried gnats provide much greater protien transfer and the head of your gnat beer will be better with increased lacing.

My first experience brewing was one of those Mr Beer kits. I did it by the book, what little there was to do, and waited....and waited...and then....tasted. The result was something between a mixture of turpentine, wet cardboard, Aquanet hairspray and vinegar. Good times...

I learned on that day to get some equipment and move on to partial mash kits. I still look at that Mr Beer fermenter from time to time and laugh...

Ok, so the airlock dried out while I left the beer unattended longer than I should have. The airlock was one of those "S" shaped ones that has the little cap on the end. I lost that cap long ago.

Weeks prior to when I did get around to bottling this beer I was busy dealing with a gnat invasion in the house. It was hell. Gnats everywhere and I spent a week trying to find the source without success. As it turned out, the teenage daughter used some potatoes in a science experiement and she tossed the rest of the potatoe bag under her bed and forgot about it. That was the source. Once I found it I removed the problem, damn it was nasty, and over the course of the next week I clean up the rest of the house of gnats.

Once all of that was out of the way it was time to bottle my beer. I was a bit concerned when I discovered the airlock was completely dried out. But heck, there is a CO2 blanket over that right? Take in mind, this beer needed bottled about 4 months ago. I open up the lid and I see what looks like wax floating around on the surface of the beer. I know it's infected at this point. But I taste it and think about what I'm going to do. I pull a small sample from just under the surface of the "wax" and give it a taste. Hmmm......apples, fruit, beer, eh....it'll age out to be pretty good.

So I bottle it.

3 weeks later I open up a bottle and check to see how it turned out. It carbonated perfectly. It poured a wonderful golden clear. Little lacing, but whatever. It smelled of fruit and apples. I tasted it and the the immediate sensation was one of fresh green apples and fruit. Nice. Unfortunately, that quickly gave away to an aftertaste of mouth puckering tart and something that I can still not really describe other than you don't want that taste in your beer.

I poured the rest of the glass and figured that perhaps some age would make it better. After all, even I am amazed at how much age can improve a beer.

One year later I open another and give it another go. The tart tamed down, the apple flavor is still dominate, all in all it isn't terrible, but not what I intended to make at all. Then I noticed something in my glass.

At first I thought is was hop residue. I see this sometimes with my mega hopped beers. A small cluster of hops floating around in the glass. I fished out the floaty and examined it closer.

It was a mass of dead gnats. Frantically I start opening more beers and pouring them looking for these gnats. They are in just about every bottle. It's gnat lager.

I set back the rest of the batch. Never to tough them again myself. Occasionally I have a friend I tried to introduce to home-brewing take a turn to the dark side and become a pure beer bum. I gift them my gnat fortified lager and tell them this is what I'm into now. It works magically, they never return.

Great story. Uber gross.

I see you and Dan Quayle share a similar joy of spelling. The famous potato(e)

Great story. Uber gross.

I see you and Dan Quayle share a similar joy of spelling. The famous potato(e)

Ok, It's almost a trademark of mine. Bad spelling. I can't help it. I can do equations and mathematics that will blow your mind. I'm also pretty good at music and music theory. But spelling, I suck at it. And I admit it completely. Please do not assume from my spelling that I am a fool. You will be fooled yourself for assuming such.

Ok, It's almost a trademark of mine. Bad spelling. I can't help it. I can do equations and mathematics that will blow your mind. I'm also pretty good at music and music theory. But spelling, I suck at it. And I admit it completely. Please do not assume from my spelling that I am a fool. You will be fooled yourself for assuming such.

Certainly not kind sir. A tip of the hat for sharing the story. Merely wanted to share my chuckle. I'm certainly no authority when it comes to that sort of thing. It's just a very famous and much lampooned error.

Yeah, it is an error that cannot be shared without having some humor. I've made bad beers. I know how to make a truely bad beer. Those experiences taught me more about how to make good beer than any other experiences. I suppose I intended to highlight how mistakes make us all better brewers. We examine what we did wrong, think through the process, and use advice to make us do better in the future.

We learn, and I have learned, how to make good beer this way. That is pretty much how it is done. Remind those that fail that they can do. Encourage those that win that they can do it everytime. Give to others like you wished you recieved.

Always be positive, always be supportive, always be genuine, always be considerate, and always be honest. All of that is possible at the same time. You just have to trust each other. That is my promise to new brewers at this site. There it is in writing. I typed it, it is my promise.

Anyone who can write a story like that is certainly no fool... ;)

Holy cow I almost fell off my stool laughing!

:mug:

First I broke the spout off my brand new never used Speidel fermenter as I was cleaning it in the sink. Then during the boil I dropped my cellphone into the kettle. Then while trying to solve the cellphone problem the tubing on my wort chiller got melted to the burner. Yay.

Anyone have any worse stories?

OP, Thanks for sharing your story and starting this thread! I've had brew days from hell myself. But for the life of me, I can't remember them because I can't stop chuckling...

:mug:

Back