Worst Brew Day Ever!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akimbo78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Things were going swimmingly. I split 2 22oz IPA's from my second batch with my neighbor. They were delicious. He insisted on the 2nd one. my first batch, a sweet stout, still wasn't quite ready (i checked on tuesday) so since i'm a stout man, i was brewing a sam smith oatmeal clone as batch 6. my process is getting pretty good, i think i have it down. its tyhe best boil ever. a rolling boil, with hardly a threat of boil over. i grab a stout from batch #1. its ready. its delicious. i'm on cloud 9. i drink 3 22oz while boiling the oatmeal stout. Then it all came crashing down...

my fermenting bucket is filled with sanitizer/water for the 5 gallons and with all the equipment that was needed to be sanitized. i am transferring that equipment to the bottling bucket as my wort is close to pitching temp. i pull out the bigger equipment (strainer, fermenter lid etc) and start dumping. in slow motion i see the hydrometer go first before anything! i thought it was tucked safely into the thief! broken. i continue...

i only have one hydrometer so i know i'm not getting a sample. lesson learned. my wort hits temp and i transfer. i carry it inside and shake the white labs vile one last time. i know of its potential to hiss and explode so i open slowly. just a little too far and now i have yeast spraying on my kitchen counter. thats when i realize that i didn't even aerate.

now i have a vile filled with foam and a wort that is not aerated. i pitched the foam that was left. then mixed. i hope there was enough yeast. we'll see in three weeks.

i got sloppy. lesson learned.

That's why I quit drinking while brewing. Lots of running back & forth remembering things,getting others...you know the drill. I burn off a buzz in a heartbeat. Besides,I like to be in full control of my thought processes at that point. That's my buzz! I haven't brewed in a while,so getting my Burton ale going was a real treat for me. Brewing seemed to go the quickest & easiest yet. Know what you mean there,man.
Take heart,shizz happens sometimes...aaaw man,I just did a Forest Dump...I hate it when that happens...:D

When the only tool you have is a hammer...everything looks like a nail. it will make beer. maybe what i'm looking for, maybe not, but beer nonetheless.

Im not an expert, but I would assume the yeast is going to multiply inside your beer so you end up with enough, just a slower start than usual

Or it may just take more time to get past the initial reproduction phase. Keep an eye on it,& keep it sealed! You think that was an accident looking for a place to happen? Oh boy,I hope I'm wrong. I brewed a Burton Ale today,estimated gravity of 1.070. I figured I need to rehydrate 4-7g packets of cooper's ale yeast to handle it. The LHBS guy agreed. Ok,cool. I was having a great brew day after being MIA for several weeks.
Then things started getting bogged down after chilling the wort,etc. I had to clean & sanitize a couple more things. That 28g of ale yeast in 2C of water & 1TBSP of dextrose was foaming out of the Pyrex measuring cup! I forgot to place it in a small sauce pan just in case. Had to go grab the clean one I was using to put it in. I'm hoping I don't wind up with mount saint Helens here!

You may have underpitched but that is why its good to have a dry back up yeast on hand. I havent used liquid yet but am looking forward to trying some.Doing smaller batches i dont have to worry about starters with those.

If you underpitch you might end up with a stuck fermentation, that's the potential problem. When you pitch you have to have the right yeast count plus the o2 in the wort to help them do their thing.

Wow sounds like a better brew day then my worst. I broke a carboy and had to run though the rain to get my hoses and broke a hydrometer then came up short on wort. But guess what? The beer was awesome u will be fine

I doubt you get a stuck fermentation, it seems it happens with stouts and high abv beers, underpitching can lead lead to stuck if low enough but overpitching is not good either.Most likely it will turn out fine.Its kind of harder to screw up beer if your trying,despite my mistakes ive never dumped a carbonated beer,uncarbed yes-drank it too soon- yes.

Back