Worst Beers of 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vanilla bean porter with way too much vanilla. Quite a disappointment but I don't yet have the nerve to dump it.

My absolute worst was definitely the banana split stout. It had potential, but in an effort to get the max banana character out of the yeast I way under pitched and fermented way too warm. I'm letting it stick around for a while to see if it improves with age, but if it hits a year and it's still **** then I'm probably going to free up those bottles.

A vanilla coffee Porter that I brewed recently, lots went wrong. Fermented too warm, under pitched, my RO filter was done for so I had lots of chlorine in my tap water. The recipe is solid, I have brewed it before, this time things just got away from me. It was drinkable, but not desirable. It took me a long while to finish the keg and I was sure glad when it was gone!

My first batch brewed on Christmas day last year. Got a Mr Beer kit and added extra sugar to boost the abv and fermented at ambient temps of 75+. Drinkable, but not pleasant. Now things are done 5gal all-grain and super controlled fermentation temps and things are great and getting better every batch.

I had a bunch of estery beer this year. I lived in the middle of the Mojave (29 Palms, CA) and I could not for the life of me control fermentation temperatures well enough to keep my summer beers from turning out slightly banana flavored. The first few I made in the year, while the temps were still mild, turned out very good. Once we started hitting the 105-110 range it was all over. Every beer I made was a banana. I used US-05 for all of them since the closest LHBS was 3 hours away and I ordered all of my ingredients. I just moved to the San Diego area so I'm hoping the cooler, more consistant temperatures help my home brew flavor profile.

The chamomile wheat. Tasted just fine at the start, but we didn't drink it fast enough and it soured.

Crappy pumpkin beer. Still not exactly sure the off flavor, might've been because I used WLP001 one too many generations. Aged it, marginally improved, but not enough.. Dumped it.

Back