Worrying lack of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotherhamRich

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first brew, and I have spent a lot of time on this forum, reading back years and years about not worrying during the first, or any brew, how many, almost all brews can be saved, may mature to taste well in a few months time and so on.

I have read a lot about fermentation, about what you may or may not see, and the real tests being the gravity readings and so on.

Nevertheless, I would appreciate it if I could get opinion on the look of this. Its 8 days in, hops added two days ago. Temp has read between 68-75 degrees throughout. I have the Krausen ring around the edge but not much else as you can see. If there is a problem, I guess its bad yeast or the temperature readings have been incorrect.

Thanks!
IMG_0107.JPG

What were your readings pre and post fermentation? The gravity readings will tell you if fermentation has completed.

The ring is there because you hit high fermentation and now its finishing up....perfectly normal. You need to get a hydrometer or your never going to know where your at with any brew ever.

Why does it look like theres stuff floating around. Almost looks like grain Husks?

Welcome to the forum!!

Thanks everyone for the comments, I forgot to say I made a major mistake in being late with a gravity reading, so although I took one, it was to late to count as an OG reading, and I haven't taken another yet so have nothing to compare it to.

Ok, like the other poster said get yourself a hydrometer if you dont have one yet and make sure to record the readings, either on paper or brew software, etc.

The beer does look normal with the krausen ring, although looks like grain parts floating around?

Thanks everyone for the comments, I forgot to say I made a major mistake in being late with a gravity reading, so although I took one, it was to late to count as an OG reading, and I haven't taken another yet so have nothing to compare it to.

Lacking the OG reading isn't a big problem unless for some reason you need to know the alcohol composition of the beer. Mostly you need to use the hydrometer to see where the beer is currently and when it might be safe to bottle. Wild guess, your OG was 1.050 and the FG will be somewhere around 1.015. If it is close to the 1.015 and stays that way for a couple days you can safely bottle.

Hi all, thanks again, just took a reading, 1.010 - I think what you are saying is exactly right RM-MN :) Tried a taste and it tasted good, not too sweet, not vinegary, so hopefully can bottle in the next day or so.

There are a lot of grain parts floating, started around the time the hops were added - hopefully nothing to worry about.

How long has it been in the fermenter? Maybe try giving it a cold crash if possible to separate some of the material.

Hi all,

This is my first brew, and I have spent a lot of time on this forum, reading back years and years about not worrying during the first, or any brew, how many, almost all brews can be saved, may mature to taste well in a few months time and so on.

I have read a lot about fermentation, about what you may or may not see, and the real tests being the gravity readings and so on.

Nevertheless, I would appreciate it if I could get opinion on the look of this. Its 8 days in, hops added two days ago. Temp has read between 68-75 degrees throughout. I have the Krausen ring around the edge but not much else as you can see. If there is a problem, I guess its bad yeast or the temperature readings have been incorrect.

Thanks!
View attachment 609722

Looks people’s normal. Close it up and wait.

Back