Worried If Fermentation Took Place?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abonzer

Reaction score
On my first batch of brew (True Brew Brown Ale Kit), I followed the instructions on the yeast package (Munton's Yeast) and re-hydrated the yeast in 1/3 cup boiled water which has cooled to 80 degrees. I let this yeast mixture sit for about 20 minutes before adding it to the cooled wort (below 90 degrees) and stirred it around, then put on the lid and installed the airlock. By morning the airlock was bubbling and bubbled for maybe another day and stopped. Air temperature is around 65 to 68 degrees in my house. In my eagerness on the 3rd day I opened up the container and looked to see if there was any fermentation foam (there wasn't any). Some of my airlock water also dropped into the container. Is fermentation complete? Did it ever start? The place I bought my supplies did not have a hydrometer in the kit so I can't take a hydrometer reading. From what I have read I believe I have first brew jitters and fermentation probably took place within the first 48 hours and I should let it sit for a few more days and bottle.

The bulk of fermentation is done, but is most likely still happening on a smaller scale. Relax and step away from the beer, everything is fine. The yeast is smart, they know what they are doing.

Thanks! I do remember seeing a scum ring on the bucket above the beer which I understand is a good sign. How soon would you recommend bottling the beer? I do not have a secondary.

Dont worry about the secondary. You'll still make great beer. However, patience is the key. It's like Parker said, STEP AWAY FROM THE BEER, RELAX!!! :D It's good advice. Go buy another primary, hydrometer, and airlock and brew another batch of beer. Let this one sit for about 2 more weeks and then bottle. The beer pipeline begins!!!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ban: :ban:

Thanks for the great advice! The instructions in the kit say to bottle after 1 week (which sounds incorrect), then age in the bottles for 3 weeks. All the posts on this site say 2 to 3 weeks so that is what I will do.

I like the idea of buying a second primary so my attention can shift away from my first brew!

+1 on buying more primarys. I have 2 primarys and a few better bottles for apfelwine and still want more. Its hard to wait but it is very much worth it.

SD

One other question I have.. is opening the bucket lid a problem? I haven't read much on this, but I am guessing this should be limited to only when hydrometer samples are taken (for future when I have a hydrometer).

Stop opening the lid! Just brew another beer and forget about it. If you see bubbles coming out of the airlock then you know things are happening in there and fermentation has started. Just don't take a lack of bubbles as a sign that fermentation has ended. It doesn't work that way! :D If you keep the lid on the beer will be protected from oxygen and bacteria. Not opening the lid will ultimately make better beer. :mug:

+1 on the second (and third and fourth) primaries. I like to use a secondary because it's easier to keep more yeast out of my kegs. If you're bottling, it won't make much difference, since you're going to end up with plenty of yeast in your bottles from carbing anyway.

Latest posts

Back