Worried about my big beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bensyverson

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a big beer I started in January 2008 (!). After it had been in the secondary over a year, I added some Champagne yeast to make sure it would ferment out.

It's now a month or so later, and I want to bottle it. But I'm worried that it won't carb up in the bottles.

Should I worry? And how much time should I give it to carb?

Thanks!!

I added Champagne yeast and bottled on 2009/07/14. I don't intend to really dip into it until January, but I tried a bottle today... It is carbed (though probably not as much as it could/will be). I used a lot of extract, and I think there were a lot of unfermentables, because it's quite high alcohol but still very sweet.

Anyway, just wanted to say, it's not a total disaster.

If you ever run into this again I would recommend carbing using CO2. That does requite a keg setup, but if you have one it makes life so much easier. I recent made a 20% beer and there was no way that i would be able to bottle condition so I carbed in the keg then bottled. It wasnt a beer I wanted on tap so I just bottled it and now its a total treat on hot summer days when my buddies are over.

Back