worms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harleyfirestone

Reaction score
Alright, so here is the deal got bored the other evening and had 10 gallons of tree top apple cider given to me, all were within their use by date so I decided add some brown sugar and yeast throw it in a fermenter and let's see what happens. Got home today and It was actively fermenting the krausen had settled and I noticed what appeared to be small white worms, not a lot, but they were stuck to the side where the krausen was and some floating on top of the "cider".

I'm very meticulous with my sanitizing, and have never lost a batch, but these little white worm looking things are new to me. Everything was properly sanitized and I'm not getting any foul odors.

Any ideas to what this could be. I have heard everything from yeast to an infection.

Anything helps.

IMAG0080.jpg

Last edited:
I recently encountered something very similar when I experimented with mixing 2 different lager yeast and attempting a yeast starter for a completely experimental batch, any ways several days into my endeavor appeared several white worm like
"Structures" if you will, I'm not convinced that that they were actual worms quite possibly protein formations or something of the sort. I also am over zealous with sanitation but who knows, if anyone has an answer I'm anxious to hear it

They are not moving around, and I have heard the same thing about it being protein structures, I guess time will tell.

The edges look to sharp to be a real worm type of animal... plus you'd see the animals moving around.

So based on a little research these appear to be protein structures, kinda difficult to explain on here, but completely harmless to the brew.

take a hook and fish them out. If it breaks apart in the process, then it's probably not worms. If they don't break apart, you can study them a little closer. Like how we used to dissect worms in high school. If they are worms, use them as fishing bait. :)

If they're moving they could be fruit fly larvae. They managed to get into my primary this fall and ruined that batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After a month or so, rack the cider, and filter the alleged worms out or be careful with the racking and they'll be in the carboy with the dead yeast.
If the cider tastes ok, no worries.

Back