Worm in bag of crushed grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GonZolaB

Reaction score
I just had a package of crushed grains arrive, and I noticed it had a small worm in the bag. I imagine I shouldn't worry about it, the boil should work it out, but just want to make sure. Is this common?

weevils n stuff is in all grain. you can limit the hatching of eggs by keeping out oxygen and moisture. if the grain smells good (no mold/musty) I'd use it.

I recently found an old broken rubber o-ring and what appeared to be the remnants of a grasshopper or cricket in a bag of floor malted Maris Otter. I nearly always find a few twigs that do not resemble barley at all, probably just some stray weeds that get picked up during the harvest. Sometimes I think maybe its better if I don't really know everything that ends up in my food.

I had a 10 lb. bag of rice delivered to me with bugs in it. I stuck the bag in the freezer and the next day sifted all of the bugs out of it. Ended up with a 1/4 cup of them! Afterwards I noticed some of the bugs had dug themselves into the shell of the rice. It ended up being bird food.

Back