Work space sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TekelBira

Reaction score
I don't even know if this is a new product but wanted to ask if this could be safe to use to wipe clean the working area. Since the equipment sanitation can be done with dilluted bleach, could this be used directly on equipment in between use as well?

http://www.clorox.com/solutions_anywhere.php

Looks like it. It appears they have made a shelf stable solution similar to star san-- 2 minute contact, no rinse.

I spent 8 years in the ARMY drinking water and eating off of utensils "sanitized" with diluted bleach.

According to ARMY doctrine bleach is the cause of, and solution to all of the worlds problems.

I would say yes but make sure you dont get any in your brew..... YUCK!

And just a point... this is probably just diluted bleach.

a) used in proper proportions bleach is an appropriate sanitizer that will impart no off flavors to your beer.

b) bleach sanitizer solution is not shelf stable-- this product is. The FAQ makes this pretty clear.

BrewstersMillions said:
According to ARMY doctrine bleach is the cause of, and solution to all of the worlds problems.

Wow... I didn't expect so much different between Army and Marine doctrines. :)

-walker

PS: Brewster.. that's a reference to a jack-ass marine that used to be on here (until he got banned) that presented bleach use in brewing as a mortal sin and only idiots would use it. In fact, anybody that did anything differently that he did was an idiot and not a 'real brewer'.

I guess the concensus appears like "yay" with the potential objection from a former Marine member. :)
I thought this would be nice to have quickly prepare the work space to reduce the contamination risk. I will be brewing my first and naturally a bit apprehensive about it.

BrewstersMillions said:
Whats a Marine?

.... kidding, sort of.

Lots of water, some salt... very colorful swimming things..... rock that's alive, yet either never moves or moves so fast I can't see it. oh and expensive from what I understand.

BrewstersMillions said:
I spent 8 years in the ARMY drinking water and eating off of utensils "sanitized" with diluted bleach.

I would say yes but make sure you dont get any in your brew..... YUCK!

And just a point... this is probably just diluted bleach.
I used to teach field operations, and we constantly emphasized that after you sanitized your stuff with diluted bleach, you need to RINSE your stuff very well, just as in brewing.

bikebryan said:
I used to teach field operations, and we constantly emphasized that after you sanitized your stuff with diluted bleach, you need to RINSE your stuff very well, just as in brewing.

Except for the fact that its wrong.

Used in proper proprotions, bleach is an acceptable no rinse solution.

kornkob said:
Except for the fact that its wrong.

Used in proper proprotions, bleach is an acceptable no rinse solution.
Perhaps - but do you really think that in the field, they are mixing it in proper proportions? I've watched, and they almost ALWAYS mix it way to strong -so strong that you can smell the bleach solution from several feet away.

I just want to clarify....

In no way did I mead ANY disrespect (short of inter-service rivalry) to Marines...

We needed someone to stop the bullets before they got to us!

bikebryan said:
Perhaps - but do you really think that in the field, they are mixing it in proper proportions? I've watched, and they almost ALWAYS mix it way to strong -so strong that you can smell the bleach solution from several feet away.

Agreed-- when done incorrectly you need to rinse but to imply that bleach is not a good no rinse sanitizer for brewing (which is what he did) is wrong.

Topic matter was diluted a bit but I guess it is coming together again. My question again, would you use this product without worrying too much even if contacts the brew directly? I don't mean to spray it on to kettle to stop the boilover but more like picking up a spoon resting on a tray which is sprayed with this ultra diluted claimed ot be stable up to a year.

Tek,
from what it says on the clorox web page I'd say you're ok to pick up a spoon that was sitting on a sprayed countertop. It seems from the FAQ on the web page that this is more of an acid sanitizer and there is less bleach in it, so the worst you should do is lower the PH a tiny, tiny bit.

They even say that is is safe for a baby's pacifier--- if it isn't going to kill the 2 gallons of baby, it probalby isn't going to hurt 5 gallons of beer.

I don't think that there is any need to sanitze a work area in brewing. I just keep utensils (hoses, turkey baster etc.) in a bucked with no-rinse sanitizer solution (bleach, idophor, star-san should work). For things I cannot submerge (e.g. thermometer) I just wipe the proble with rubbing alcohol that I keep around in a spray bottle. you could do this with your spoon. I even think that you would be fine with just washing the spoon before use ;). If you have a decent pitching rate your will not infect your wort with a clean spoon.

Kai

Careful with the sanitizer though. Even if it is "no rinse" it labled as a sanitizer probably because it has anti-microbial properties. This means that even in small amounts you could be killing your yeast even though it is not hurting you.

I would hazard a guess and say this due to the fact that human beings are "slightly" more complex that the run of the mill single cell organism :D

Probably any sanitizer used or sold regularly in the home brewing industry has taken this into consideration though.

Just thinking about this logically this is by no means the correct answer.

BrewstersMillions said:
Careful with the sanitizer though. Even if it is "no rinse" it labled as a sanitizer probably because it has anti-microbial properties.

In the USA, there is no "probably" about it. For something to be labeled as a sanitizer in the States, the EPA has to approve the stuff after testing it's antimicrobial properties.

-walker

All the other services have always been jealuos of Marines. Not every one can be the Best but the army and navy still have some use....................I think.

PS: Brewster.. that's a reference to a jack-ass marine that used to be on here (until he got banned) that presented bleach use in brewing as a mortal sin and only idiots would use it. In fact, anybody that did anything differently that he did was an idiot and not a 'real brewer'.
Who was that?

You know what they call the 13 button flap on Navy Enlisted dress blues don't you?

Marine Corps table cloth :mug:

Why did the chicken cross the road?.. to get away from the Marine

Why did the Marine cross the road??

budbo said:
Why did the chicken cross the road?.. to get away from the Marine

Why did the Marine cross the road??

To kill the chicken?

Because he was tied to the chicken?

Because Chuck Norris told him to?

I'm glad to be able to start a "marine joke" thread without even having an intention to do so.... Let it out, don't miss the opportunity...

Nevermind the :off:

edog2000 said:
All the other services have always been jealuos of Marines. Not every one can be the Best but the army and navy still have some use....................I think.

Oh sure they do:D

Marines TAKE ground. The Army gets to watch it after the Marines move on to the next battle.

As far as the Navy. Thanks for the lift cabbie.

BrewstersMillions said:
Whats a Marine?

.... kidding, sort of.

Geeeeez I'm feeling the LOve..... I am a Former Marine. Spent 11yrs in the Corps. But since I am new to home brewing I'll sit back and listen to the Masters.

LOL

I maybe be new here but I think what you did to this thread was nothing but rude. :mad:
Thanks Brewster and the rest played along. Hope you had fun.:drunk:

Excerpt from Webster's Dictionary, 2006 editio:

Marine- Devil Dog; Truest from of the American soldier. Synonym: elite.

TekelBira said:
I maybe be new here but I think what you did to this thread was nothing but rude. :mad:
Thanks Brewster and the rest played along. Hope you had fun.:drunk:

Sorry, lets have a beer :mug:

I wasnt trying to be rude... it just happens naturally :)

Back